Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Windows file size limit and spliting files on the fly

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2

    Windows file size limit and spliting files on the fly

    My video creation s/w crashes every time it tries to create data files past 4GB file size limit.

    So I was thinking if there is any tool out there that can say emulate a drive linked to a folder (like SUBST) and then when you try to create files more than a specified size it will span across multiple files.

    so actually the toll will work transparently and the application will never crash due to the size limit.

    Also when the application tries to read this split file the tool transparently returns the file as if it was never split while actual data is still coming from the split files.

    eg. I am trying to create a 10 GB file
    I will setup this tool by
    SOMETOOL filelimit=4GB <emulatedDrive letter> <actual physical location eg. c:\somedir>

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    30
    Hey, I work alot in digital video publishing, and I can only suggest that you compress the video. If I remember correctly, 4 gigs is big enough to hold 40 minutes of uncompressed video, so you'll be able to fit in much more compressed video. I know this isn't the solution you wanted, but it gets the job done...

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2
    Thanks Jehan60188 for replying.

    The problem I have is not with Capturing the AVI but when I try to encode the file.

    I use Ulead Video Studio 6 and have also tried Pinnacle Studio 8.

    I capture my footage (Aprox 20 min i.e. 4GB chunks on Pinnacle but Ulead does it transparently), edit it, apply transitions/menus but when I set these apps for overnight processing converting the footage to DVD. In the morning I find that both applications crash the only way I can hold then from crashing is shrinking the DVD footage to like 1:15 minutes and not being able to use the full capacity of the DVD.

    Also I noticed that the temp file it created during this process was around 4 GB when they crash which kind of confirms that the problem is 4GB file limit with Windows ME.

    The only solution at this time I feel is to upgrade my system to Windows 2000 or XP which I do not intend to invest in.

    Thanks again.

Similar Threads

  1. 2 Gig FAT32 File Size Limit
    By uc2nluv in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-13-2005, 03:13 PM
  2. ISo size and the uncompressed files...
    By Sago7 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-18-2004, 11:55 PM
  3. Knoppix file size
    By blahman420 in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-28-2003, 06:42 PM
  4. Max file size?
    By gretchen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-13-2003, 10:36 PM
  5. Max size of desktop files?
    By Dougal in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-17-2003, 12:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB DDR5 memory kit, 2x16GB picture

Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB DDR5 memory kit, 2x16GB

$329.99



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.50



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



32GB Micron PC4 – 3200AA DDR4 ECC Registered Server RAM - MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2J3 picture

32GB Micron PC4 – 3200AA DDR4 ECC Registered Server RAM - MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2J3

$200.00



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



lOT OF 4 SKhynix 8GB (4 x 8GB =32GB) HMA41GR7MFR8N-TF 2R8 PC4-2133P DDR4 MEMORY picture

lOT OF 4 SKhynix 8GB (4 x 8GB =32GB) HMA41GR7MFR8N-TF 2R8 PC4-2133P DDR4 MEMORY

$89.00