Use one of the cheat codes at the boot prompt. F2 to see some of them. knoppix nodma might work out.
I am getting an error during boot. Knoppix initially sees the CD drive and HDD, giving their model ID, but after coming to the line: "Looking for CDROM in: /dev/scd0, it pauses for some time then the scd0 flips quickly through some other names and then I get the error: "Can't find Knoppix file ssytem, sorry. Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
The CD works fine in another computer so I'm thinking that the problem may with this CD drive: Mitsumi FX320M
Any diagnosis or suggestions
Use one of the cheat codes at the boot prompt. F2 to see some of them. knoppix nodma might work out.
Thanx. The discussion section was off-line and the knoppix.org info that I found was in German. So, I googled knoppix cheats and found a copy elsewhere.
atapicd did the trick and it's running -- though very slowly on this computer. It's an old PII 350 w/ 96 MB RAM and a 32X CD drive. But it's the only one with enough idle time to experiment with and it's very similar to the computer that I'm considering installing Linux on and using as a file and e-mail server and as a portal to our DSL connection.

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$102.99
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61
External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99
External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A
$100.00
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99
Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070
$1469.00
Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$349.48
Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99