Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Installing XP after Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    6

    Installing XP after Knoppix

    Hi, I'm new to Linux and recently installed Knoppix onto my HD. I was planning on dual booting, but unfortunately I lost XP during the installation of Knoppix. Now I cannot figure out how to install XP back onto my system. I have an NTFS partition of 20 gig reserved for Windows, but I cannot install XP. I tried booting off the XP CD, I also tried booting of XP floppies but the data on disk 4 is consistently corrupt despite my multiple attempts. I also tried inserting the XP CD while in Knoppix and using WINE to install XP, but that also did not work.

    Any help would be much appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Seeger

    P.S. If it matters I'm using XP Home edition with SP1

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    Durning the install process it should have picked up the XP os and added it to the lilo.conf file. What exactly did you do? Did you reformat the entire partition for the knoppix install or use a linux partition to to install to? Can you see the files in the xp partition from knoppix? Where did you install knoppix to? More info is needed to help.
    I find that to reinstall a windows os I need to delete the partition and then recreate it and format it again to get rid of the files that are still there during the reinstall. You might be able to get XP back if it is not wiped out by editing the lilo.conf file.
    Install knoppix after the xp install and make sure to install the bootloader to the mbr.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    6

    More info

    I have a 40 gig Hard Drive, 2500 MB partition for Knoppix installation. A 1500 Swap partition. A 16 Gig Ext3. and 20 Gb as NTFS. Everything is cleared, this was somewhat intentional, right now I only have knoppix, the rest of the hard Drive is clear.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    I usually install XP first then knoppix. This is to let the linux bootloader take over. The other way will only boot into windows.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    21
    If you can still access your knoppix partition then su to a root console, and assuming you used Lilo and not grub, issue
    lilo -U
    which will restore you original MBR record, and bring back your XP partition. Unfortunately, you won't be able to access Knoppix again unless you've made a boot floppy for it during the install sequence. (You can, actually, but I don't have time to relate the details.) Once you've restored the orignal Master Boot Record then you can redo your Knoppix install and make sure XP is on the list of boot options in lilo.conf.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    He can restore lilo when he runs the cd again. Jseegs, not sure what you want done, let us know what you wnat done and we can assist you better.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    6
    Nevermind, thanks for the help but, I got it to work. I used XP boot floppies to allow me to install XP after I had already installed Knoppix.

    Everything is working fine now, I have Knoppix and XP dual booting thanks to Lilo.

    Sorry about being a bit unclear, as I said I'm new to Linux and had never attempted an OS change before, so I'm not to familiar with the Lingo and what's important.

Similar Threads

  1. Installing Knoppix..
    By williamb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-21-2004, 05:36 PM
  2. installing knoppix 3.1
    By bob_man_uk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-06-2004, 10:03 AM
  3. Installing Knoppix on the same hd with MD9.1
    By pbearseven in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-20-2003, 02:54 PM
  4. installing Knoppix - what's next ?
    By amit in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-16-2003, 01:03 PM
  5. installing knoppix vs installing Linux from scratch
    By jza in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-03-2003, 11:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE picture

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE

$295.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS picture

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS

$80.00



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM 01YM308 Storwize V7000 G3 for 2076-724 Internal Storage System Control Node picture

IBM 01YM308 Storwize V7000 G3 for 2076-724 Internal Storage System Control Node

$749.99



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99