-
Junior Member
registered user
Mandrake is a good easy to install distro but if you do much updating, custom setup etc you will want to try a debian based distro such as Knoppix or Kanotix. Apt-get makes this soooo much easier.
I got my first Linux system from Linux Format magazine which includes a disk or two with each issue & generally features a distro every 2nd or 3rd issue. There are other Linux magazines which do the same. I think Knoppix was on Linux World a couple of months ago.
You might also try to find other Linux users in your area who may have disks, check your local library. Most libraries maintain a listing of local activity & hobby associations & groups. If you are near a university, also try the university bookstore &/or contact the computer science dept at the university.
I even saw Mandrake & SuSe for sale at Future Shop once but both were out of date releases & rather overpriced.
I will try and look in some different places, I will also keep an eye out for any magazines that have any live CD's
I assumed Knoppix would be limited and not include too much, but after reading more about it it seems it has more to offer than I used to think.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Atari Home Computer Software/Books/Manuals/Magazines Lot - Read desc for details
$95.00

GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats
$35.00

Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly
$18.95

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS
$16.95

ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical - USA Seller
$29.99

Atari 410 Program Recorder repair w manual sheet/ adapter cord
$23.99

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00

Atari 800 Home Computer 48K RAM In Original Box w/ Styro RF Switch Extra Games
$349.30