Quote Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
Download speed: Been there, tried that. 56 hours is about right. I currently have a 'light' HS 'net package with D/L speeds of about 26 Kbs; a full 700 M disk takes 6-8 hours. My previous 56 K dialup ran at about 3.5 Kbs on a good day which is about 1/7 of my current capabilities, so a full 700 M disk would take about 7 times times as long =42 to 56 hours. This is actual tested d/l speeds, not theoretical calculated so should be reliable.
I think I see the point that's confusing you. I suspect very strongly (heck, I know it for a fact) that your DSL Lite D/L speed is close to 26 KBs, not 26 Kbs. The difference is bits and bytes. Your getting around 26 K Bytes on your DSL lite speed (it's usually rated here at 256 kbs, since bit speeeds sounds better than byte speeds). Yes, at that speed, running full out from a "good" server (one that can feed as fast as your can receive), a full 700 meg BYTE download should take about 8 hours. In contrast a 56k modem is rated at 56 k bits. And back when I last used one in the US they were prohibited by our FCC at running any faster than 53 k bits. That wasn't a big issue though, because line quality was the major factor, and many users were lucky to get 48 k bits or less, Your 3.5 k sounds about right, but only if it's 3.5 KBs (3.5 K Bytes), not bits. If it was really bits then you would have had an awful line, but I doubt it since even a 24K modem or even an old 9600 baud modem would have been a lot faster.

So yes, you can download a 700 meg ISO on your DSL lite in 8 hours. But there is absolutely no way that anyone could download it overnight with a 56 k modem, no matter what kind of remarks he responds with.