-
Junior Member
registered user
Apt-get giveth, Apt-get taketh away...
My Knoppix version of Debain Sarge was running beautiful, but I wasn't satisfied. On my previous distro I had streaming audio installed so I could listen to my favorite radio stations while I used my box. So, I used apt-get to install the app.
Realizing that the streaming audio app could overwrite my audio codecs for mplayer, I popped a DVD into the DVDROM and sure enough, I had no sound. The msg was "unknown codec 0x2001". I googled for what that meant and where I could get a replacement. Trying several codecs, including ac3 and dts, brought no joy. One source suggested to reinstall the sounddriver. I decided to try reinstalling libarts first, because mplayer was using aRts.
"apt-get install libarts" resulted in a msg which said that the current lib would be replaced by a more recent one and that 'dependencies would be deleted". No problem, I thought, and typed 'y' and pressed enter. The screen immediately began displaying what deleting dependencies meant: every KDE app on my computer!! I watched helplessly as apt-get uninstalled my ENTIRE kde application. I resisted the temptation to break the process, realizing that the apt-get database would be destroyed and I'd have to do a total reinstall of knoppix 3.7. I watched as one app after another disappered into the infinite bit bucket in the sky. Icons on the desktop visible behind the root shell terminal started disappearing. A msg appeared saying the kdm was gone. A few minutes later everything related to KDE not in memory was gone.
With nothing to lose, since I was facing a total reinstall anyway, I entered "apt-get install kde" in the root shell and pressed enter. I answered yes when asked if I wanted to install 345MB of applications. I watched in fancination as program after program came down the from the web and was installed. About 10-15 minutes later (I have a 3MB connection) apt-get was done. I executed apt-get autoclean and closed the root shell, then logged out of my current KDE desktop. Kdm wasn't running so I entered startx and was presented with the very latestest version of KDE that Sarge has to offer. Apt-get put more KDE apps on my box than Knoppix did. A couple non-standard KDE apps had to be reinstalled and apt-get made short work of them.
It's now 2:00AM and I am staring at the screen in unbelief over what I had just witnessed. What a powerful tool. Almost too powerful to be put into the hands of a Debian rookie like me!
But, does my mplayer have sound? Sadly, it does not. Neither does xine. Tonight I plan to totally delete mplayer and all codecs and configs related to it, and reinstall them. Maybe xine too. Am I mad? Hardly. Computers are my work and my hobby. I had more fun than a barrel of monkeys and learned a lot, too!
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$169.99

Apple Mac Pro 5,1 • 8‑Core 2.26GHz • 14GB RAM • 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD Dual NVIDIA
$325.00

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor
$175.00

Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex
$159.99

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY
$39.99

AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor
$59.99

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked
$79.99

DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5" AIO Core i5 10500T 8GB 256GB NVMe Windows 11 -NO STAND
$179.99

Dell Precision 3561 8 Core i7 11th 16GB 512SSD NVIDIA Quadro T1200 W11 Grade A-
$473.87