I've used apt-get (see my msg in that forum), synaptic and KPackage.

I prefer Kpackage because, like synaptic, it lists all the files that are available on the mirrors in your sources.list , and breaks them into four groups, depending on if you've installed them or not.

When you check off an app to install in KPackage then click the install button you're taken to another dialog that includes a "test" checkbox. It also lists any dependencies that may be required. If you click the test checkbox then click the "install button" you see a "RESULT=<n>" in the right panel. If it is "RESULT=0" then there are no problems, but if it is some other number besides 0 then you best not install that app. I haven't been able to find that feature in synaptic. The same goes for upgrading or uninstalling an app. Had I used KPackage last night, instead of apt-get, I wouldn't have had to reinstall my entire KDE system..