-
Senior Member
registered user
Alright VeeDubb I don't know diddly squat about pocket pc's (even though I work for HP
- what machine do you have exactly?
-
Senior Member
registered user
I happen to have a Dell axim advanced.
The vender id is 413c
and the prduct ID is 4001
But frankly all I need is to know how to recompile JUST ipaq.h and ipaq.c into a new ipaq.o file without recompiling the wholebloody kernel. It should be a simple process. THe software is allready installed an running thanks to apt-get with an addition to the sources.list and I allready made the needed modifications to the source files ipaq.h and ipaq.c I just need ito compile those two files into ipaq.o and I am not interested in trying to buiold a wole kernel to compile.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Hey don't get all bent out of shape there my friend - I'm just trying to help eh? I can go the rest of my life without knowing anything about a dell axim.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Here's what I read
To be able to use SynCE with a USB connection, you need to be running Linux kernel version 2.4.18 or later.
You've got that covered.
Are you running one of these devices?
Compaq/HP iPAQ (except the 1910)
Casio (EM500 and probably others)
No you're not.
If not, you should first patch your kernel driver.
OK how the hell do you do that?
However, if your device don't work with the kernel driver ipaq.o out of the box, you need to make some small modifications to this driver.
OK what modifications?
add vendor & product I.D.'s
OK so go to
drivers/usb/serial/ipaq.h
&
drivers/usb/serial/ipaq.c
and enter your vendor and product i.d's
OK then what?
So unless the software you downloaded is telling you something different than what the 'how-to' says I don't see how you'll get it done any other way. What's the big deal about recompiling the kernel anyway? You've come this far man.
-
Senior Member
registered user
My most sincere appologies if I came off as being short with you, it wasn't intended, as you have been nothing but patient and helpful with me. I've just been stressed the last couple days trying to set up a new wireless network (which I've never done before on any OS).
The site did mention just replacing ipaq.o So I assumed this was done by compiling ipaq.c and ippaq.h as they are the source files you are asked to modify.
As for my objection to recompiling the kernel, the reason is that I spent 3 days and at last count 9 re-installs of linux trying to build and compile a working knoppix kernel, and at this point, trying to do it again without a lot more linux experience just completely fails to apeal to me. And as far as I have been able to find, the knoppix kernel is a one-off kernel and nt available for download ANYWHERE. If you hae some way for me to get proper kernel source and inteligable directions for what to do with it, I'd LOVE to have a good kernel source and just re-compile it.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
rickenbacherus
What's the big deal about recompiling the kernel anyway? You've come this far man.
The big deal is having everything setup properly before one can say "make" or seeing those error messages pumping out line after line during the make process, speaking from someone who has been doing this kind of thing since the 8088 days.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Before you start VeeDubb- make your life a little easier right here:
http://www.partimage.org/
Make a 'copy' of your working install wether it be to another partition or to a cd. Partimage is nice in that it doesn't copy an entire partition- only the data on the partition. You can see how this will make life easier eh? Then this weekend I'll have some time to mess about with recompiling this crazy one-off kernel. It can be done. I realize that you need to get this done asap as you probably didn't buy the pocket pc just for games. Perhaps garyng would be willing to share some of his vast wisdom.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Actualy, the last time I tried to make a kernel, it was garyng that helped me through it and everything looked good untill I tried to reboot, then nothing. Not even an error message, the system posted and stopped. I will make a back up and if it get's working, this weekend it fine. I'd rather it be yesterday, but beggers can't be choosers. Anyway, thanks again.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I have backedup my linu partition now.
-
Senior Member
registered user
testing with your own linux kernel is pretty safe, you just need to know a bit of lilo
The whole linux booting involves 2 files(essentially), the kernel file(the zmImage file after the make) and the initrd(initial root disk). As a result, you can configure lilo to have entries to either boot the currently working one, or your newly created one.
Similar Threads
-
By tonycooles in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-18-2004, 06:21 PM
-
By ewangr in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-10-2004, 09:11 PM
-
By Mathieu7-7 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-14-2004, 03:33 PM
-
By probono in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-25-2004, 07:13 PM
-
By msnxsw in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-27-2003, 07:12 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$949.00

Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop
$40.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$36.99

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned
$29.00

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$59.99

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

Samsung 250GB SSD 850 EVO 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive MZ7LN250 MZ-75E250
$25.99

SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed
$42.00