Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Boot issues. Newb wants help.

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    6

    Boot issues. Newb wants help.

    <center> I have two versions of Knoppix, both on cd. 3.3 from a friend and 3.4 from OpenSource WA. I start with 3.3, and try to boot by setting my boot sequence to ATAPI CD-ROM, Floppy, then IDE-HDD. No such luck. It tries to boot, then ignores the CD in the drive and goes to windows (*shudder*). So I use cmd: X:\KNOPPIX\RaWrite2.exe -f boot-en.img -d A to create a boot floppy. That works fine, I boot fomr the floppy. I get to the main screen, I enter my knoppix cheatcodes (heheh) and it begins loading vmlinuz from the floppy. It gets to about four dots, then tells me that I have the wrong disc in the drive.

    So I try 3.4. I still can't boot, and I can find no method to create a 3.4 boot floppy.

    Is this a common issue that is easily resolved? Or am I royally smegged?
    </center>

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    61
    The path I've used in this case (though it was with 3.6, but this SHOULD work) is:

    1. Download Smart Boot Manager. (for more information about this, click here.)

    2. Now you need to make a boot floppy. To do this, use a utility called rawwrite. (for more info about this, click here.)

    3. Once the boot floppy is created, start the computer.

    4. Make sure your computer's BIOS has been set so the computer boots from the floppy disk.

    5. Insert the floppy and Knoppix CD, and check that the computer indeed boots from the floppy.

    6. When the Smart Boot Manager's menu appears, choose the menu option with "CDROM" in it, and press Enter.

    7. The computer should now boot from the CD.

    Hope this helps,
    Ewan

    ---

    You can read my blog if you need something else to do

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    6
    Alright, I'd already made the boot disk as I described in my first post, but I'll try that. Thanks.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    6
    I boot from SBM 3.7 which I installed on my floppy. I select CD-ROM drive, and I get a disk error. Crapsticks.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    61
    Any chance that your CD-ROM is not an ATAPI CD-ROM? Other machine info that might be of help?

    Considering I've been able to get Knoppix working even on an old PII with 64 megs of RAM, I would think there's someway to get it working on your box.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    6
    Mmm, in my hardware manager it says ATAPI 52X CD-ROM, so I don't think that's it. My machine is a PIII 700Mhz with 384Mb of RAM, an Intel D815EEA motherboard, 9.52 Gb HDD, nVidia Riva TNT2 Model 64 Pro gfx card... Nothing particularly out of the ordinary...

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    61
    Sorry, didn't realize we were talking about a modern machine (at least comparatively)...

    The only time I've seen behavior like that before where it was a fairly standard system was when there was a conflict between the jumper on the drive and the cable attachment - I.E. the jumper on the drive is set for master but the drive is connected as slave. In which case you can go along fine for a bit and then the IDE controller gets all confused.

    To rule that out you would want to grab some other Live CD (like Ubuntu or Kanotix) and see if you see the same problem.

    Hope this helps,
    Ewan

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    6
    <center> Alright, I'll check that, but I don't think that's it. I just put it into this new case, and I do have another on a Slave, but I'm fairly sure this one is set to master. </center>

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    I believed the problem is with your cdrom drive.........which unable to read knoppix cd in high speed ......or miss alignment with cd. I had similar problem with different model and speed of cdrom and different cd.
    Sometimes updating bios will fix this.
    You can try disable unnecessary integrated pheripheral such as usb, disable acpi function......etc..... in bios.
    Or get a new iso and burn it.
    Or swap your cdrom with other cdrom.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    6
    I'm going to get the CD-ROM drive from my crappy $50 133Mhz Win95 machine KNoppix worked on to try it.

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix boot issues
    By echromes in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-31-2006, 04:04 AM
  2. Knoppix DVD 4.0 Boot Issues
    By JesusFreak in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-02-2005, 11:43 PM
  3. BOOT ISSUES
    By amag in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-06-2004, 12:48 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-11-2004, 12:19 AM
  5. newb needs boot help
    By TotalLinuxNewb in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-04-2003, 06:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


READ - Vintage Apple Macintosh SE/30 - Boots picture

READ - Vintage Apple Macintosh SE/30 - Boots

$850.00



Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra picture

Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra

$120.00



Vintage Magnetic Peripherals MPI BR8B1A 5.25

Vintage Magnetic Peripherals MPI BR8B1A 5.25" Floppy Disk Drive 77711800 CDC

$89.66



Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used picture

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used

$55.99



Vintage 1992 Mac System 7.1P1 Apple Software 3.5” Floppy Disks NOS picture

Vintage 1992 Mac System 7.1P1 Apple Software 3.5” Floppy Disks NOS

$35.00



READ - UNTESTED Apple Macintosh PowerBook 160 M4550 Vintage Laptop picture

READ - UNTESTED Apple Macintosh PowerBook 160 M4550 Vintage Laptop

$299.00



VINTAGE THINKPAD X61 TABLET 3GB RAM 240GB SSD OEM WINXP W/GOOD BATT CHARGER picture

VINTAGE THINKPAD X61 TABLET 3GB RAM 240GB SSD OEM WINXP W/GOOD BATT CHARGER

$329.00



Vintage PowerColor EvilKing 3 Extreme 3DFX Voodoo3 Graphics Card C355A Ver 3.0 picture

Vintage PowerColor EvilKing 3 Extreme 3DFX Voodoo3 Graphics Card C355A Ver 3.0

$91.12



Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board. picture

Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board.

$135.37



VINTAGE COLLECTIBLE Comp USA Maxtor 20 GB 3.5 Inch EIDE Hard Drive NEW SEALED picture

VINTAGE COLLECTIBLE Comp USA Maxtor 20 GB 3.5 Inch EIDE Hard Drive NEW SEALED

$500.00