I a newbie myself. But probably the device was mounted as read-only.
Check out man-pages for mount and see fstab.
Goof luck
I recently installed Knoppix to my HD and all went well (eventually). But now as I take files which I backed up from my computer and try to copy them to hda4 it tells me that access is denied to mnt/hda4. I can't seem to put anything onto this partition, what could my problem be?
as before I am new to Linux, so if I haven't given enough information please ask me specifically for what you need to know.
Thanks,
Seeger
I a newbie myself. But probably the device was mounted as read-only.
Check out man-pages for mount and see fstab.
Goof luck
what filesystem is it? if you had XP on that computer it is likely ntfs.
Ntfs is a filesystem that is generally read only for linux.
there is a few projects like captive that work arountd those limitations,
but "I" consider them to be far from perfect.
It is not NTFS, it's ext3 I believe. It think the problem is that its ownership in the permissions tab is "user: root" and "group: root". How can I make that available to all users and not just the root user?
Thanks,
Seeger
Nevemind, Linux for Dummies pulled through for me.
Thanks for the help.

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$39.99
TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened
$195.00
NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless
$25.99
D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord
$49.99
10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99
TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99
TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25
Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00
5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99
Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99