Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Saving files to hard Drive

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    6

    Saving files to hard Drive

    I recently installed Knoppix to my HD and all went well (eventually). But now as I take files which I backed up from my computer and try to copy them to hda4 it tells me that access is denied to mnt/hda4. I can't seem to put anything onto this partition, what could my problem be?

    as before I am new to Linux, so if I haven't given enough information please ask me specifically for what you need to know.

    Thanks,
    Seeger

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    10
    I a newbie myself. But probably the device was mounted as read-only.

    Check out man-pages for mount and see fstab.

    Goof luck

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    what filesystem is it? if you had XP on that computer it is likely ntfs.
    Ntfs is a filesystem that is generally read only for linux.
    there is a few projects like captive that work arountd those limitations,
    but "I" consider them to be far from perfect.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    6

    . . .

    It is not NTFS, it's ext3 I believe. It think the problem is that its ownership in the permissions tab is "user: root" and "group: root". How can I make that available to all users and not just the root user?

    Thanks,
    Seeger

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    6

    Nevermind

    Nevemind, Linux for Dummies pulled through for me.

    Thanks for the help.

Similar Threads

  1. saving files to hard disk
    By krishnan in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-23-2006, 07:00 PM
  2. Problem in re-saving a .doc file back to Hard Drive
    By satimis in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-29-2005, 12:34 PM
  3. Copy files to my hard drive
    By _Larry_ in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-03-2005, 09:48 AM
  4. Saving mozilla config to persistant hard drive
    By bruceg in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-06-2004, 03:51 PM
  5. saving config to hard drive and boot disk problem
    By Eradicator in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-21-2004, 05:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP picture

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP

$400.00



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H picture

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H

$19.99



Yealink SIP-T44W VoIP Phone 12-Line Gigabit Speakerphone RJ-45 Gray/Black picture

Yealink SIP-T44W VoIP Phone 12-Line Gigabit Speakerphone RJ-45 Gray/Black

$44.00



5 Allworx Verge 9312 VoIP IP Phone 12-Line Speakerphone Black RJ-45 MPN 8113120 picture

5 Allworx Verge 9312 VoIP IP Phone 12-Line Speakerphone Black RJ-45 MPN 8113120

$999.00



Grandstream GXP1782 8 Line HD IP Phone VoIP - New Open Box picture

Grandstream GXP1782 8 Line HD IP Phone VoIP - New Open Box

$59.99



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07