Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Wirelesslan setup.

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177

    Wirelesslan setup.

    I don't expect anybody to walk me through it, but could somebody point me in the direction of where to look for info on setting up a wireless lan through linux? What I'm trying to do is set up an Ad-Hoc 802.11b network between a Linux box (primary) a Windows laptop and a windowsCE PDA.

    Keep in mind I'm new to linux and network were never my thing under windows anyway.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    I use this command

    iwconfig eth0 essid "your essid" enc "your WEP key, if there is any"

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    I use this command

    iwconfig eth0 essid "your essid" enc "your WEP key, if there is any"

    Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
    too few arguments



    I have a standard PCI wired network adpter and a my WiFi is also PCI. I tried eth0 and eth1, sme response. My ssid is fordprefect and I am not useing wep

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Run wlcardconfig. It will walk you through the setup. You may need to run netcardconfig afterwards (at least I do) to set up dhcp.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    Well, that sort of worked, maybe. But I can't find it with any other systems. I have a WinCE handheld and an XP laptop on the same chanel with the sameessid and wep and they can't see the desk.

    Here is the complete output from the file you had me run:


    + '[' NO = NO ']'
    + rm /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts
    + echo '# Wireless LAN adapter configuration file /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts'
    + echo '# written by wlcardconfig (C) Eckhard Rüggeberg'
    + echo '# Sorry for the clumsy syntax, but I have to have everything in one'
    + echo '# line for every card. This is a MaGiC nUmBeR.'
    + echo '# For the original file see in /KNOPPIX/etc/pcmcia/'
    + echo ''
    + echo 'case "$ADDRESS" in'
    + writeline
    + OURLINE=
    + '[' -n '' ']'
    + '[' -n Ad-Hoc ']'
    + iwconfig eth0 mode Ad-Hoc
    + OURLINE= MODE="Ad-Hoc";
    + '[' -n 11 ']'
    + iwconfig eth0 channel 11
    + OURLINE= MODE="Ad-Hoc"; CHANNEL="11";
    + '[' -n '' ']'
    + '[' -n '' ']'
    + '[' -n '' ']'
    + '[' -n '' ']'
    + '[' -n '' ']'
    + '[' -n fordprefect ']'
    + iwconfig eth0 essid fordprefect
    + OURLINE=ESSID="fordprefect"; MODE="Ad-Hoc"; CHANNEL="11";
    + OURLINE=*,*,*,00:10:7A:4A:05:B9) ESSID="fordprefect"; MODE="Ad-Hoc"; CHANNEL="11"; ;;
    + echo '*,*,*,00:10:7A:4A:05:B9)' 'ESSID="fordprefect";' 'MODE="Ad-Hoc";' 'CHANNEL="11";' ';;'
    + echo esac

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    Is there something else I need to do to connect?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    if you don't use WEP, just say

    iwconfig essid "your essid"

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    Turns out one of my neighbors has a Wlan, so I decided to go ahead and use a WEP pasword. However, after running again, my other systems still can't see my linux box.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    do you have a WLAN router ? I am confused with your network setup ? You only have 2 machine each has a WLAN card ?

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    I have three machines, running three completely different opperating systems, each with it's own WiFi card. I'm trying to set up an Ad-Hoc network, NOT an infrastructure network.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Linux setup
    By Afshin in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-18-2004, 03:25 PM
  2. Lilo setup improperly on multi-hard drive setup, how to fix?
    By Kethinov in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-21-2003, 10:23 PM
  3. Using X -query to setup a LAN
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-14-2003, 12:41 AM
  4. help me to setup network
    By iqbal_ktop in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-10-2003, 11:42 AM
  5. Order-of-setup?
    By chada in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-16-2003, 08:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$488.00



Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox

$620.00



Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710

$349.99



Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM) picture

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)

$299.95