Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33

Thread: Wirelesslan setup.

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    I surender!

    I'm going back to fry's to exchange the WiFi card I got for my desktop for a wireless router. I'll be back later.

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    I am using two different WLANs. The problem is: When I have used the one and want to use the other (other building), I have to reboot. (Different ESSID, different IP, different nameserver etc.) What's the "right" way of doing this (i. e. without reboot)? Anyone actually *done* that? (I know how it should work in theory...)

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    can't you just re-issue the 'iwconfig' command with the new setting ?

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    Okay, I'm back with the Wlan router, I'll let you know how it goes.

  5. #15
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    Okay, I installed the Wlan router with a regular Cat5 cable and now I can see it with my other devices and the cards int he other systems can connect to the router, but I realydon't know where to go from here. As I said before, I now litle about wired lans and less about wireless lans.

    What I want to do is share the internet connection that I use on my linux desktop (it's a PPP connection at tty0) with my Windows XP laptop. As I said, I can now see the router with the other systems and the cards can connect to the router, but I've no idea where to go from here. Anyhelp appreciated.

  6. #16
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    do an 'ifconfig' to get the ip address first. I am assuming you can have each workstation seeing each other through the wireless connection, including the KNOPPIX box.

  7. #17
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    Here are the results of ifconfig


    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:50 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:50 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:3260 (3.1 KiB) TX bytes:3260 (3.1 KiB)

    ppp0 Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
    inet addr:67.227.206.106 P-t-P:67.227.128.59 Mask:255.255.255.255
    UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1524 Metric:1
    RX packets:7784 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:8637 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
    RX bytes:7130949 (6.8 MiB) TX bytes:1034385 (1010.1 KiB)

    How do I use that info to set up the internet connection shareing on the laptop? I'm also going to be using a WiFi card in my PocketPC, but I'll worry about that connections share later.

  8. #18
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    um, where is the information for the wireless card on this KONPPIX ? I can't see it.

  9. #19
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    As I said, I gave up on going with wireless cards all around, and exchanged my card on the knoppix box for a wlan router. The router is connected to a standard network card by a standard network cable.

  10. #20
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    I am confused. You have a WLAN router(which is a stand alone device), how can you connect it to the KNOPPIX ? If you mean through wire(RJ45), it means you have a normal network card on the KNOPPIX, then 'ifconfig' should show it.

    How is the PPP connection connects to the outside world(ADSL modem or Cable modem or normal modem) ?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Linux setup
    By Afshin in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-18-2004, 03:25 PM
  2. Lilo setup improperly on multi-hard drive setup, how to fix?
    By Kethinov in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-21-2003, 10:23 PM
  3. Using X -query to setup a LAN
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-14-2003, 12:41 AM
  4. help me to setup network
    By iqbal_ktop in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-10-2003, 11:42 AM
  5. Order-of-setup?
    By chada in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-16-2003, 08:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



20TB 7200 RPM SATA III Internal 3.5

20TB 7200 RPM SATA III Internal 3.5" White Label Hard drive

$349.99



HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD picture

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$41.00



Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive picture

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s

$58.00



Lot of 2 HP 4TB / 128MB SATA 7.2K RPM 3.5

Lot of 2 HP 4TB / 128MB SATA 7.2K RPM 3.5" Hard Drive MB4000GCWDC /ST4000NM0033

$125.00



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95