Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Yet another Newbie with boot problems....

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    NoCal
    Posts
    3

    Yet another Newbie with boot problems....

    Greetings all! At the sugestion of a friend I'm trying Knoppix. I've dl'd ver 3.7, done the checksum thing, and burned it using Nero (and just in case the burn was bad....made another copy).

    Here's what happens.

    I put the disc in the drive, reboot, the disc is found, then it boots to the lovely Knoppix 3.7 screen with a boot prompt, and I get to use the F1, F2, F3 buttons. I type knoppix, or anything from the "cheatcodes", or just hit enter (tried this several times as you might guess), and it says....(everytime)
    loading Linux24.......
    loading minirt24.gz......
    Ready.

    then I get a blinking cursor, and it just sits there. The cd spins down and we all take a break and nothing happens. Anyone got a clue as to what is wrong here and how to fix it? I've had this same problem on both 3.7 discs and a 3.6 disc I got yesterday.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Stourbridge U.K.
    Posts
    3
    Hi there,
    I had the same problem to get my system working, I typed knoppix26 at the boot screen prompt and it booted fine. Type this before you press enter at the first lovely knoppix 3.7 screen you see.
    Hope this helps.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    NoCal
    Posts
    3
    Ok, I tried that. All it did was make my printer go crazy and start spitting out blank pages, the screen went blank and the cursor started flashing everywhere.....then it died again. =(

    Oh, well, at least something happened.....

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by badgerpants
    Ok, I tried that. All it did was make my printer go crazy and start spitting out blank pages, the screen went blank and the cursor started flashing everywhere.....then it died again. =(

    Oh, well, at least something happened.....
    First try 'knoppix failsafe'. This will boot with the minimum hardware detection. If it boots OK then try other bootcodes (press f2 to get a list) to track down which bit of hardware is causing the problem.
    Use 'knoppix lang=us failsafe' if you what an english system (default is german).

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    NoCal
    Posts
    3
    Tried that too. On both 3.7 discs. Still didn't work, the same loading info appears, then Ready, then a blank screen with the cursor flashing at the top. I can't type anything, and nothing else happens, the cd still spins down, and just sits. I know the keyboard is giving some info since after a few dozen keystrokes I get a beep from the speaker (I guess the buffer is full haha).

Similar Threads

  1. Help anyone!? Newbie 3.6 loading problems
    By Adrian Hudson in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-06-2004, 12:05 PM
  2. Newbie Here -- Please Help!!! Monitor Problems
    By mrclark1971 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-01-2004, 12:27 PM
  3. pliz HELP newbie problems in dsl
    By italianknopfans in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-25-2004, 07:26 PM
  4. Newbie Modem problems...
    By Rorypyro in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-16-2003, 10:53 PM
  5. Newbie Problems
    By fitzrik in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-07-2003, 06:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage DEC RT-11 V5.0 8” Floppy Disks HT-11 System BASIC FORTRAN Software Lot picture

Vintage DEC RT-11 V5.0 8” Floppy Disks HT-11 System BASIC FORTRAN Software Lot

$199.95



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



VINTAGE DEC/MDB Systems MLSI-TEV Circuit Board #40040340 1976 (B5) picture

VINTAGE DEC/MDB Systems MLSI-TEV Circuit Board #40040340 1976 (B5)

$69.99



Vintage DEC LSI-11 PDP-11 Paper Tape Software Lot (96 Tapes) Cables Hardware picture

Vintage DEC LSI-11 PDP-11 Paper Tape Software Lot (96 Tapes) Cables Hardware

$649.00



(2) Vintage DEC DLV11-KB RS-232 to 20mA Current Loop Converters PDP-11 As-Is picture

(2) Vintage DEC DLV11-KB RS-232 to 20mA Current Loop Converters PDP-11 As-Is

$170.00



Vintage DEC Digital VR319-DA 19

Vintage DEC Digital VR319-DA 19" High Resolution Monochrome CRT Monitor TESTED

$219.99



VINTAGE DEC LA34/ LA100 SERIES KEYBOARD W/NUMERIC PAD 70-17864-01C picture

VINTAGE DEC LA34/ LA100 SERIES KEYBOARD W/NUMERIC PAD 70-17864-01C

$140.00



Vintage DEC Digital M8048 5013995C PDP-11 LSI 11 ROM (B3) picture

Vintage DEC Digital M8048 5013995C PDP-11 LSI 11 ROM (B3)

$149.99



Vintage Computer Lot Commodore IBM Gateway AT Gaming Towers DEC IBM HUGE CRT LOT picture

Vintage Computer Lot Commodore IBM Gateway AT Gaming Towers DEC IBM HUGE CRT LOT

$7250.00