-
Problems creating swap file
Hi,
today I burnt my Knoppix 3.7 CD and made it boot. However, so far I cannot use Knoppix because creating the swap file somehow seems not not work.
After detecting and auto-configuring some devices, I get a message saying I have only 47504 KB free RAM (on a 64MB machine). The only way to answer this message is entering OK, whereas the welcome text on the CD (Knoppix/index.html) says that Knoppix needs only 20 MB of RAM - at least for text mode.
After I have entered OK, Knoppix tries to create a DOS swap file. However this fails with the message
/usr/sbin/mkdosswapfile: line 11: usr/bin/id: Eingabe/Ausgabefehler (which means I/O error)
and it seems to be in an endless loop showing this message again and again. It does not even react to any keystrokes (Ctrl-Z, Ctrl-C, Ctrl-D, ...) so the only way for me to get out has been a hardware reset and booting Windows again.
Can anyone give me a clue as to what has gone wrong? Do I need any preliminary actions in order to create a swap file? Or is there a possibility to start in text mode? (I did not find any option "textmode" or "noKDE" or whatever)
Thank you very much,
Matthias
Similar Threads
-
By pezz453 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 7
Last Post: 08-11-2005, 10:07 PM
-
By yukichigai in forum Laptops
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-14-2005, 04:27 AM
-
By ddrex in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-07-2005, 04:35 PM
-
By lothario in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-17-2004, 08:46 AM
-
By fjon13 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-29-2003, 06:13 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A
$49.99

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot
$119.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$36.99

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

Samsung 250GB SSD 850 EVO 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive MZ7LN250 MZ-75E250
$25.99

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD
$29.99