-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Serial access to a dead machine?

Originally Posted by
Free
Alright this is probably a really dumb question but I havent found it covered by another thread, probably because it's so basic:
Is it possible to access a computer who
doesnt want to boot anymore (boot prompt) from a Linux machine with a serial connection? This is not an emergency, I am just interested because I have read about data recovery with Linux but
most people seem to do this with ethernet and I dont have a clue how all this networking and connecting stuff works.
And if its possible is there a tool in knoppix to do this? Or do I just have to mount the serial?

You might want to ask his again, but rephrase it. I'm not clear on what you are saying and have highlighted the parts above that confuse me. Are you saying that the computer does not boot at all, but you somehow expect to access it with Knoppix by running Knoppix on another system and coming in by a serial port? If that's the case, then no, you need software running on the computer that you want to recover from. This is also the case for people who recover by ethernet. They still need Knoppix (or something) running on the machine they are trying to recover from. They can run Knoppix, other Linux, or even Windows on the machine they want to move the files to. If you're saying that you can boot Knoppix on that computer than that's a different issue, but that's not what I read above.
You very well might be able to transfer data over the serial port if you can run Knoppix. If that's what you want to do then I hope someone with more experience joins in here after you post back. But the serial port will be much slower than an Ethernet connection. And I expect it will take some different tools. You might want to cover a few more things in your response: How much data do you need to transfer? Do you have a CD writer on the computer that you need to recover from (and does it have a normal IDE or SCSI interface on it if you do)? Is there any other interesting hardware on the system (USB, Firewire, ....)? Is installing a NIC out of the question? Could you install another hard drive in the system for transferring data that way? Some idea on the make and model of the system might be of help to some people too.
Good Luck. I'm about to crash so I don't expect I'll respond again for a while, but others will likely join in and help too.
Similar Threads
-
By wt8e7 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-30-2006, 08:52 AM
-
By bignogin in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-20-2005, 08:25 PM
-
By sybariten in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-10-2005, 07:03 PM
-
By jtaugher in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 11-29-2004, 04:55 PM
-
By bongski55 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-31-2003, 04:42 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1599.99

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$225.00

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00

1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM
$344.97

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012
$109.99

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99