-
Dell Inspiron 8500
I just last night loaded knoppix v3.6 to my 8500. Booting from CD works like a charm with no real problems (at least none that I've found, but it was just last night and I'm only getting back to it now).
The laptop is almost or is a year old, but it does have 512mb ram and a 40GB drive. It is a 2MHz P4. The one thing that does not really look good is the screen (on the laptop it's 15" wide) and the text and resolution aren't that great. Wireless card works great (that's how I'm getting here - via cable modem to a wireless adapter). USB works great, in fact, the CD was able to detect everything with no problems (I did boot as "no scsi" cuz I don't have any, so why look).
In that I'm new to these formus, I need to do some looking around, but my friends' Compaq (laptop) which is a couple of years old (1.2 Mhz P3, 512mb ram, 40GB drive, CDROM and DVD (separate devices)) did not boot from the CD (same one my Dell does boot from). It started but would hang very soon after that.
roofer
edit: I've loaded v3.7 today (Live CD). It too, works like a charm...
Similar Threads
-
By MeSo in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-17-2004, 02:30 PM
-
By Raineri in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-24-2003, 10:46 PM
-
By guigui in forum Laptops
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-25-2003, 11:49 PM
-
By mithrill in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-10-2003, 03:10 AM
-
By Nthline in forum Ideas
Replies: 5
Last Post: 04-02-2003, 10:18 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.50

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1
$399.00

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK
$799.00

Lot of 50 Mixed Brands RAM Memory 4GB SODIMM DDR4
$691.59

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick
$289.80

HYNIX HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK 32GB PC4-2666V 2RX4 RDIMM MEMORY HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK
$189.99