-
I know this is somewhat incoplete but I hope it is useful. I used Knoppix 3.8 with each machine. I didn't get the exact compaq model as the section manager, well read on-
I recently started the process of evaluating laptops for replaement of four next year. I did NOT evaluae HP as I already know that they tend to configure their hardware so that it works with Knoppix/Linux only with some serious reconfiguration and workarounds unless they set the machine up for their proprietary Linux.
I went to Best Buy who is the largest supplier in the area. Forst I looked at whatwas available. I limited the systems to the following base requirements. AMD cpu with 32 or 64 bit processor, 256-512 ram prefferably DDR or SDram
Toshiba 10721 - 360J series with Intel Celeron will not load, Knoppix hangs before hardware detection.
Gateway7510GX 64bit SCSI
Had to noscsi, noacpi. Bios overrides noacpi and will not load apm. Loading is very slow but it does function. The right click function won't work on the touchpad but does work with external mouse. many small glitches.
Compaq 64bit AMD
Clean load. Pointer and tap sensitivity needs to be decreased significantly and the keyboard accelerator needs to be at or near minimum. The capslock is reversed and will not clear. TO do standard you need to hit the shift key.
At this point I was preparing to do some program testing when the department manager came up to me and even knowing I was looking at replacing potentially 4 laptops he told me that I couldn't use the knoppix disk. His rational was that if we let one person do it we have to let everyone do it. He wasn't flexible nor did the concept of watching to insure the disk the potential purchaser uses isn't toxic or loads running programs.
He got a little pissy then and I told him that if I wanted to mess up his laptops, I didn't need the Knoppix disk to do it. I was asked to leave the store. I let the store manager know abut the potential sale he lost the store and she was pretty red faced when I walked out.
Incidently I posted this to the general laptop forum by mistake. hope it doesn't cause too much confusion. 
By My Hand ~ I Remain,
Captain Cautious 2 Aug 05
Similar Threads
-
By MeSo in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-17-2004, 02:30 PM
-
By Raineri in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-24-2003, 10:46 PM
-
By guigui in forum Laptops
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-25-2003, 11:49 PM
-
By mithrill in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-10-2003, 03:10 AM
-
By Nthline in forum Ideas
Replies: 5
Last Post: 04-02-2003, 10:18 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY
$10.00

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$66.00

Lot 500 SK hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-23400 DDR4-2933Y ECC Registered Server Memory RAM
$47988.00

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory
$189.00

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM
$43.00