Are running it as root?
Hi,
I am trying to install Knoppix to my hard drive. The hard disk is emtpy. I have booted with the Knoppix CD and gone to the console. I have made sure that I have a swap partition (hda2, 510MB, primary, type 82) and a main boot partition (hda1, type 83, bootable) that I created with cfdisk.
Whenever I type knoppix-installer I get a window with the following message:
"The installer detected that the installation requirements are not fullfilled yet. Please make sure that you have a free partition with at least 2GB to install Knoppix on. Also we need a swap partition with at least 128MB, if you don't have 512MB memory or more. In the following menu, you can start some tools to partition your hard drive."
I click OK and get the following window:
"1. Partition - Partition the hard disk
2. Quit - Quit the program"
I choose option 1 and then get the following window:
"() hds QUANTUM FIREBALL lct10 10 (10.2626 GB)"
I click NEXT and then I always get the following message:
"Opened disk read only - you have no permission to write"
Followed by:
"Cannot read disk drive. Press any key to continue"
I haver tried installed using the: IGNORE_CHECK=1 sudo knoppix-installer but as soon as I start to install I get an error window saying:
"Error: Formatting of failed: Some messages from mkfs.ext3: Usage: mkfs.ext3 [-c:-t:-l filename] [-b block-size] [-f fragment size] [-i bytes-per-inode] [-j] [-J journal-options] [-N number-of-inodes] [-m reserved-blocks-percentage] [o-creator-os] [-g
What am I doing wrong?
Can someone please help me?
MadDoc,
Are running it as root?
Do you mean working from kde's Konsole or from crtl-alt-f2 console? There were some bugs in the installer used by kanotix that prevented it from working properly from ctlt-alt-f2 console login; although it worked OK from KDE Konsole. Perhaps similar bug is active??I have booted with the Knoppix CD and gone to the console.
You might also try making the whole drive vfat, the installer should be able to create partitions on a vfat drive. Normally you shouldn't have to create partitions ahead of time.
==================Originally Posted by MadDoc
Yah, hey dere, MadDoc!
I'm not an expert, but I'd advise this:
Boot up using "noswap" as an option, as in "Knoppix noswap". (Yeah, append whatever else you need to get it running & displaying normally, also.) The reason for this is that when you boot up Knoppix, it checks to see if there's a swap partition available - and, if yes, it grabs it for use. Specifying "no swap" obstructs that behavior, which should(?) leave the hard drive inactive for modifying via cfdisk, if needed. If swap on the drive is in use, the drive is considered "busy", and ineligible for editing/changing partitions.
Once you've got your session up & running, use Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get a virtual console. Try the command "knx2hd", and see if that works any better for you.
Good luck!
I was thinking about what I'd written to you, and realized a couple of things I should have added. After you've booted w/ the "noswap" option, do your cfdisk stuff, then reboot yet again w/ the swap enabled. The reason to do that, is that installing onto HD will use whatever your current options and settings are as the template for how to set up the HD installation - and, if swap wasn't enabled when setup began, setup creates an installation that has no swap usage. Also, I ran into that resource warning glitch on my system during one of my installation attempts. The way I got past it was to skip the configuration routine and just go straight into the next stage. Doing that, the warning was bypassed and all proceeded normally.Originally Posted by MadDoc
I have the same exact problem as MadDoc and so far I've already tried that "noswap" suggestion without any success.
What is "vfat"?Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
I looked through the type list and couldn't find it "vfat". Did you mean a type like fat32?
Also, I set the swap partition to 3Gb is this okay? Or should I set it to 512mb?
512 is plenty.
and as he said try noswap. otherwise disk may be considered busy.
or if you forget, the comandshould do it aswell (XY is letter and number where you have swap).Code:swapoff /dev/hdXY

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$102.99
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive
$39.99
Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot
$79.99
Western Digital PC SN740 256GB M.2 2280 NVMe Internal SSD (SDDPNQD-256G)
$34.99
Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00
KingFast F10 256GB 2.5” SATA III SSD Tested Working 2710DCS23BF-256
$22.89
Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99
Samsung 860 PRO 2TB 2.5" SATA III V- NAND SSD MZ-76P2T0 86%-90% Health
$187.00
Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD
$23.00