-
unable to make install - read-only file system
Hello everyone, this is my first time to this forum, first time using knoppix and first time with linux so please understand if my question sounds stupid....
I have a partion on my hard drive for knoppix already (/mnt/hda5/). Knoppix works fine and I have downloaded some packages that I require and these are sitting on my new partition.
I am trying to install:
glib-2.6.1
atk-1.9.0
gtk+-2.6.1
pango-1.8.0
However... starting with glib... seems others require glib first...
I ./configure and all seems fine, i then make and all looks fine though when i try to make install i am returned errors:
knoppix@ttyp1[glib-2.6.1]$ make install
make install-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/mnt/hda5/gtk/glib-2.6.1'
Making install in .
make[2]: Entering directory `/mnt/hda5/gtk/glib-2.6.1'
make[3]: Entering directory `/mnt/hda5/gtk/glib-2.6.1'
/bin/sh ./mkinstalldirs /usr/local/bin
mkdir -p -- /usr/local/bin
mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/local/bin': Read-only file system
make[3]: *** [install-binSCRIPTS] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/mnt/hda5/gtk/glib-2.6.1'
make[2]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/hda5/gtk/glib-2.6.1'
make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/hda5/gtk/glib-2.6.1'
make: *** [install] Error 2
What is the problem here and how do I fix it?
Thank you
-
Follow Up:
Still have same problem though now experiencing problems with all files on hda5... says they are a Read-Only File System. What could have caused this and how can I fix it? I am unable to extract any files or anything while in this state.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Right click on desktop hda5 icon and goto actions. Then change read/write option. That should now allow you to write to the hd.
Similar Threads
-
By pronk in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-16-2005, 10:32 AM
-
By Probert31 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-08-2005, 11:39 PM
-
By MrBigTime in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-18-2005, 06:42 PM
-
By starwill in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 08-12-2003, 01:01 AM
-
By CelticSoul in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-29-2003, 08:05 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00

KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health
$360.00

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$599.00

ULTIMATE ARCH LINUX BOOTABLE USB/DVD INSTALLER 64-BIT - CHOOSE BUILD - PC/MAC
$4.49

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99

Ubiquiti UniFi Gateway Max Router - 5x 2.5GbE - IDS/IPS 2.3 Gbps - UXG-Max
$180.00

Turbolinux Server and Workstation, Red Hat, Maximum Linux LOT 13 CDs
$40.00

PARDUS LINUX OS | LATEST ISO | DVD, USB | AMD64 | 64-BIT | GNOME | XFCE | SERVER
$4.49

Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 16-Core Perpetual License | Factory Sealed
$724.63

Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 32 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License Package
$299.00