Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: where is cgi-bin so I can test perl scripts

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    3

    where is cgi-bin so I can test perl scripts

    I have a class of cgi/perl students, some of whom can only use Knoppix at home when not in the classroom (where we have a Redhat box). I want them to be able to run .cgi scripts through apache to test their perl scripts. They can then save the scripts in their home directory (using K menu > KNOPPIX > Configure > Create a persistent K home directory).

    I cannot, however, find a cgi-bin in /var/www and, if I use sudo mkdir to create it, I cannot write to it. They can test their scripts for syntax errors (using perl -c testScript.cgi), but they cannot debug the full output from, say, test.html which calls test.cgi; this kind of debugging requires the apache server to serve the output of a perl script in .cgi form. Any ideas?

    Bill Stanard

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    71
    Hi,

    (I'm running a Debian system installed from the Knoppix CD on HD, so not everything might be accurate...)

    The apache configuration lives under /etc/apache/httpd.conf, searching for cgi-bin reveals: it's configured at
    /usr/lib/cgi-bin

    That directory is owned by user root, so the easiest might be to alter the httpd.conf and add another ScriptAlias
    directive that your students can write to.

    Ciao,
    Thomas

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    3
    tom p wrote: The apache configuration lives under /etc/apache/httpd.conf, searching for cgi-bin reveals: it's configured at
    /usr/lib/cgi-bin

    That directory is owned by user root, so the easiest might be to alter the httpd.conf and add another ScriptAlias
    directive that your students can write to.


    That's the part that gets me.... how can I write to a directory (/usr/lib/cgi-bin) that appears to be read only? I have had success writing only to the desktop. Am I missing something basic here?

    cheers!
    Bill

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by bstanard
    how can I write to a directory (/usr/lib/cgi-bin) that appears to be read only? I have had success writing only to the desktop. Am I missing something basic here?
    You don't need to! The directories beyond /etc (not the files though; they are symlinks) are writable;
    I'd suggest to put a file "userdir.conf" into /etc/apache/conf.d/ with the following content:

    Code:
    AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .pl
    <Directory /home/*/public_html>
        Options +Includes +ExecCGI
    </Directory>
    Then, in your home directory create "public_html", put a cgi in there and (after starting apache) try if it works:
    wget http://localhost/~knoppix/your_test_cgi_here.cgi

    HTH,
    Thomas

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    3
    ok, and, by the way, thanks for the help so far....I cd-ed to /etc/apache/conf.d, vi-ed a file userdir.conf, and... rec'd the error message: "userdir.conf " E212: Can't open file for writing... when I tried to wq (save) the file... again and again I must be doing something wrong, for I can not save to any directory except knoppix's home directory... is there a switch I haven't flipped or something that I should be doing?
    please advise
    cheers!
    Bill

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by bstanard
    ok, and, by the way, thanks for the help so far....I cd-ed to /etc/apache/conf.d, vi-ed a file userdir.conf, and... rec'd the error message: "userdir.conf " E212: Can't open file for writing... when I tried to wq (save) the file... again and again I must be doing something wrong, for I can not save to any directory except knoppix's home directory... is there a switch I haven't flipped or something that I should be doing?
    please advise
    cheers!
    Bill
    try it as user "root" (i.e. for example from the "penguin" menu open a rootshell) and then create that file. That should work...

    Ciao,
    Thomas

Similar Threads

  1. Server Side Perl Scripts and Inaccessible cgi-bin Directory
    By brass in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-02-2006, 11:47 AM
  2. Running Server Side Perl Scripts
    By brass in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-30-2006, 09:30 PM
  3. perl module
    By madmadmod in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2005, 05:14 PM
  4. tk perl
    By pau in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-25-2004, 04:03 PM
  5. apt-get & perl
    By exiva in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-09-2003, 03:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1694.85



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$427.48



External SSD 1TB 2TB  Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$15.99



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Acer Aspire 14

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb

$441.77



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Acer Aspire 16 16

Acer Aspire 16 16" Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V S2 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Arc Refurbished

$519.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$288.98



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00