Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Trouble with grub...

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536

    Trouble with grub...

    I tried to change the black grub/debian background screen, which I don't know how to do, and when I modified menu.lst to point to the file/splash image it did not work. When I uncommented the old boot/messages and took out what I put in and rebooted, I was given this error:

    Graphics file "(hd0,3)/boot/messages" missing, press any key to continue.

    And I am taken to the other grub screen that just has text, graphic mode or whatever. I can proceed to enter any OS/kernel but I would like to know how to fix this to get back to the black screen. The messages file is still there.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    I figured it out. This is how:

    mkdir grub-src
    cd grub-src
    wget http://ruslug.rutgers.edu/~mcgrof/gr...24.orig.tar.gz
    wget http://ruslug.rutgers.edu/~mcgrof/gr...0224-2.diff.gz
    tar zxvf grub_0.93+cvs20030224.orig.tar.gz
    gunzip grub_0.93+cvs20030224-2.diff.gz
    patch -p0 < grub_0.93+cvs20030224-2.diff
    cd grub-0.93+cvs20030224
    ./configure
    make
    make install

    Then edited menu.lst after adding the splashimages with synaptic:

    #gfxmenu (hd0,3)/boot/messages
    splashimage /boot/grub/splashimages/biosplash.xpm.gz

    Choose the biosplash to test. Then as root did update-grub. The output said no images found,but when I rebooted it was there and works properly.

Similar Threads

  1. Sound Trouble + Modem Trouble on Knoppix 4.0
    By AJones in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-05-2007, 07:26 PM
  2. Grub
    By tenlientl in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-02-2005, 08:23 PM
  3. GRUB ... then nothing
    By dantay in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-16-2004, 02:06 PM
  4. Trouble after dual-boot install (Grub, hardware detection)
    By FlorianK in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-11-2003, 03:31 PM
  5. Getting rid of Grub
    By fingers99 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-10-2003, 04:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2x SAMSUNG 32GB DDR4  2RX4 PC4-2933Y SERVER MEMORY M393A4K40CB2-CVFC0 64GB TOTAL picture

2x SAMSUNG 32GB DDR4 2RX4 PC4-2933Y SERVER MEMORY M393A4K40CB2-CVFC0 64GB TOTAL

$300.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack) picture

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)

$1599.95



RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections

$63.00



Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$169.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50