Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Editing files on HDA....

  1. #1

    Editing files on HDA....

    Well, my hard drive is recognized just fine and I can view all of the files on the hard drive.... but I can't make any changes to the files on the hard drive. I have tried changing the permissions of the whole hard drive and the individual file i'm trying to edit but to no avail.

    Here is what i'm trying to do.... I'm trying to edit my boot.ini file because I seem to have screwed things up. I have windows xp installed on HDA and I decided to install Win 2000 on HDB *the second hard drive*.... then I decided I no longer wanted win 2000 installed... so stupid me I just formated HDB... I try to boot back into win XP and it says it is looking for a file from the win 2000 install. So, now I have to find a way to fix my boot.ini file to stop looking for win 2000... but I can't get into windows.

    So, I tried the Maxblast tools to restore my boot sector... doesn't work... then I try the recovery console using the comand FIXBOOT... didn't work. So then I remembered I had my copy of Noppix STD... well that booted fine and I now have my boot.ini infront of me with all the changes made but I cannot save! ARG.... What good is knoppix if I can't make a simple fix like that. It says to check to see if I have permission to make the change....

    what can I do!?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    Knoppix tries to protect you from trashing your system.
    You need to be root to do the editing.

    Either open file manager super user mode ( in System>more programs )
    or do su at a terminal. If you have problems becoming root check out
    this thread: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11500

    You can also use dyne:bolic which will totally let you edit everything without
    any hinderances what-so-ever.

    Good luck.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    164
    Be warned, you most probably want to use captive-ntfs to mount your partition. Writing to ntfs with the regular driver is very risky!

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by bfree
    Be warned, you most probably want to use captive-ntfs to mount your partition. Writing to ntfs with the regular driver is very risky!
    Where as captive ntfs, from what I read in these forums, is safer. Kind of like playing Russian Roulet with one bullet in the revolver rather than 5 bullets in revolver.

Similar Threads

  1. Hex Editing the ISO
    By jgrauman in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-06-2006, 06:44 PM
  2. Editing NTFS files
    By Ming in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-20-2005, 10:14 AM
  3. Editing System files as 'root'
    By phdzg in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-08-2005, 11:46 PM
  4. editing smb.conf
    By Legithrandil in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-31-2004, 04:44 PM
  5. Editing boot.img help files
    By rdmelin in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-25-2003, 01:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$381.93



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$484.99



Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox

$620.00



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99



DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard) picture

DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard)

$399.95