Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Robotics 5610 modem - How do I do this

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    7

    Robotics 5610 modem - How do I do this

    To be able to use my modem I need to add this line
    setserial -v /dev/ttyS4 uart 16550A port 0xb000 irq 23
    to
    /etc/init.d/setserial
    but I don't know how to do this.
    Also, these two lines seem to work in .login
    su:password
    ln -s /dev/ttyS4 /dev/modem
    Again, I don't understand what I'm supposed to do. I don't know what .login is since I don't login
    I'm really new to Linux and could use some help.

    Thanks
    crhoff

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260

    Re: Robotics 5610 modem - How do I do this

    Quote Originally Posted by crhoff
    To be able to use my modem I need to add this line
    setserial -v /dev/ttyS4 uart 16550A port 0xb000 irq 23
    to
    /etc/init.d/setserial
    but I don't know how to do this.
    Also, these two lines seem to work in .login
    suassword
    ln -s /dev/ttyS4 /dev/modem
    Again, I don't understand what I'm supposed to do. I don't know what .login is since I don't login
    I'm really new to Linux and could use some help.

    Thanks
    crhoff
    At a shell you could do "vi /etc/init.d/setserial" which will open up an editor to add the line you say you want.

    I'm wondering how you decided that the way you've put here is the way to get your modem working?
    Have you tried the "pppconfig" script/program to set up your modem?
    Do "pppconfig" as root from a shell/terminal. ( I'm assuming because you're posting here that you're running some version of knoppix)
    Please provide more info on the linux you are using.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    7

    Re: Robotics 5610 modem - How do I do this

    At a shell you could do "vi /etc/init.d/setserial" which will open up an editor to add the line you say you want.

    I'm wondering how you decided that the way you've put here is the way to get your modem working?
    Have you tried the "pppconfig" script/program to set up your modem?
    Do "pppconfig" as root from a shell/terminal. ( I'm assuming because you're posting here that you're running some version of knoppix)
    Please provide more info on the linux you are using.[/quote]

    I'm using knoppix 3.7 I got the info from this form and a couple of others where people did this to get there 5610 modem working. Iv's since got it working by typing the following in a root shell.
    cd /dev
    rm -f modem
    ln -s tty4 modem
    Once I did the above then my modem would show up in the dialer.
    For someone who has never seen linux, it seems like it's kinda hard to get things going, but I'm gaining on it.
    For instance, "pppconfig" as root from a shell/terminal" A week ago that meant nothing, but now I think I know what it means.
    Thanks
    crhoff

Similar Threads

  1. Zoom 5610 USB ADSL Modem
    By lwood87 in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-09-2006, 02:21 AM
  2. Noobish question about a US Robotics 5610 modem
    By timothias in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-25-2005, 06:19 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-27-2005, 06:19 PM
  4. need help config US Robotics modem
    By Evan38888 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 04:15 AM
  5. US Robotics external modem trouble
    By bullgoose in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-15-2003, 04:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$11.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz  8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER  picture

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER

$94.94



DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid picture

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid

$139.99



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00