Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Installing RPM packages

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    5

    Installing RPM packages

    Hi. I am new to Linux (although I have had Linspire but it fraustrated me) and currenly using Knoppix. I need to know how I can install the RPM package so I can install my ATI drivers which it requires (http://ati.com/support/drivers/linux...5&submit=GO%21) and I don't even know which version of Xfree86 I have (no idea what that is either). I tried checking it using that check.ch thing but all it did was opened a document simillar to notepad which a bunch or giberish.. I would also like to know where I could get Alien. And the sound doesn't work either. AND, I would like to change the resoution from 1024xsomething into a higher one but there isn't a higher one? Please help me.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    dpkg -l ¦ grep alien

    Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
    | Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
    |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
    ||/ Name Version Description
    +++-================-================-================================================
    ii grep 2.5.1.ds1-4 GNU grep, egrep and fgrep
    ii alien 8.48 install non-native packages with dpkg

    Use this to get alien:
    apt-get update
    apt-get install alien

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: Installing RPM packages

    Quote Originally Posted by HewJass
    Hi. I am new to Linux (although I have had Linspire but it fraustrated me) and currenly using Knoppix. I need to know how I can install the RPM package so I can install my ATI drivers which it requires (http://ati.com/support/drivers/linux...5&submit=GO%21) and I don't even know which version of Xfree86 I have (no idea what that is either). I tried checking it using that check.ch thing but all it did was opened a document simillar to notepad which a bunch or giberish.. I would also like to know where I could get Alien. And the sound doesn't work either. AND, I would like to change the resoution from 1024xsomething into a higher one but there isn't a higher one? Please help me.
    First, try to get a .deb package for your ati driver instead of using an rpm. Google for the package name the search within results for .deb.
    You should already have alien, it is included in Knoppix. To convert your rpm to a deb just 'alien -d <packagename'.
    For sounds first check kmix & turn the volumes up; they are zero by default. You will need at least master & PCM turned up.
    Also see this: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14604

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    5

    Re: Installing RPM packages

    Quote Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by HewJass
    Hi. I am new to Linux (although I have had Linspire but it fraustrated me) and currenly using Knoppix. I need to know how I can install the RPM package so I can install my ATI drivers which it requires (http://ati.com/support/drivers/linux...5&submit=GO%21) and I don't even know which version of Xfree86 I have (no idea what that is either). I tried checking it using that check.ch thing but all it did was opened a document simillar to notepad which a bunch or giberish.. I would also like to know where I could get Alien. And the sound doesn't work either. AND, I would like to change the resoution from 1024xsomething into a higher one but there isn't a higher one? Please help me.
    First, try to get a .deb package for your ati driver instead of using an rpm. Google for the package name the search within results for .deb.
    You should already have alien, it is included in Knoppix. To convert your rpm to a deb just 'alien -d <packagename'.
    For sounds first check kmix & turn the volumes up; they are zero by default. You will need at least master & PCM turned up.
    Also see this: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14604
    It says I must run as root or use fakeroot?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: Installing RPM packages

    Quote Originally Posted by HewJass
    It says I must run as root or use fakeroot?
    You must be root (administrator level user) to install packages. Type 'su' to become root.. No password is required but you should set a root password, if you run any kde applications as root using kdesu you will need one. Type 'sudo passwd' to set a root password.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    5

    Re: Installing RPM packages

    Quote Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by HewJass
    It says I must run as root or use fakeroot?
    You must be root (administrator level user) to install packages. Type 'su' to become root.. No password is required but you should set a root password, if you run any kde applications as root using kdesu you will need one. Type 'sudo passwd' to set a root password.
    Nevermind, I just got Fedora Core and I'm really happy with it for now (only had it for about an hour though), for now I think it's excellent and the sounds works+it recognizes my video card

Similar Threads

  1. Selecting packages when installing
    By knithx in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-27-2006, 09:26 PM
  2. using alien and installing deb packages
    By asearle in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-15-2005, 07:52 PM
  3. installing rpm packages using apt
    By jsweatte in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-27-2005, 05:22 PM
  4. installing rpm packages on KNOPPIX
    By pankajgadhari in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-19-2003, 04:33 PM
  5. installing debian packages.
    By gtgoku in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-07-2003, 07:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s

$78.00



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



Seagate ST1000VM002 1TB 5900RPM 3.5

Seagate ST1000VM002 1TB 5900RPM 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s HDD | PC DVR CCTV | | 1Y

$55.95