-
Installing RPM packages
Hi. I am new to Linux (although I have had Linspire but it fraustrated me) and currenly using Knoppix. I need to know how I can install the RPM package so I can install my ATI drivers which it requires (http://ati.com/support/drivers/linux...5&submit=GO%21) and I don't even know which version of Xfree86 I have (no idea what that is either). I tried checking it using that check.ch thing but all it did was opened a document simillar to notepad which a bunch or giberish.. I would also like to know where I could get Alien. And the sound doesn't work either. AND, I would like to change the resoution from 1024xsomething into a higher one but there isn't a higher one? Please help me.
-
Senior Member
registered user
dpkg -l ¦ grep alien
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
|/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Description
+++-================-================-================================================
ii grep 2.5.1.ds1-4 GNU grep, egrep and fgrep
ii alien 8.48 install non-native packages with dpkg
Use this to get alien:
apt-get update
apt-get install alien
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Installing RPM packages

Originally Posted by
HewJass
Hi. I am new to Linux (although I have had Linspire but it fraustrated me) and currenly using Knoppix. I need to know how I can install the RPM package so I can install my ATI drivers which it requires (
http://ati.com/support/drivers/linux...5&submit=GO%21) and I don't even know which version of Xfree86 I have (no idea what that is either). I tried checking it using that check.ch thing but all it did was opened a document simillar to notepad which a bunch or giberish.. I would also like to know where I could get Alien. And the sound doesn't work either. AND, I would like to change the resoution from 1024xsomething into a higher one but there isn't a higher one? Please help me.

First, try to get a .deb package for your ati driver instead of using an rpm. Google for the package name the search within results for .deb.
You should already have alien, it is included in Knoppix. To convert your rpm to a deb just 'alien -d <packagename'.
For sounds first check kmix & turn the volumes up; they are zero by default. You will need at least master & PCM turned up.
Also see this: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14604
-
Re: Installing RPM packages

Originally Posted by
CrashedAgain

Originally Posted by
HewJass
Hi. I am new to Linux (although I have had Linspire but it fraustrated me) and currenly using Knoppix. I need to know how I can install the RPM package so I can install my ATI drivers which it requires (
http://ati.com/support/drivers/linux...5&submit=GO%21) and I don't even know which version of Xfree86 I have (no idea what that is either). I tried checking it using that check.ch thing but all it did was opened a document simillar to notepad which a bunch or giberish.. I would also like to know where I could get Alien. And the sound doesn't work either. AND, I would like to change the resoution from 1024xsomething into a higher one but there isn't a higher one? Please help me.

First, try to get a .deb package for your ati driver instead of using an rpm. Google for the package name the search within results for .deb.
You should already have alien, it is included in Knoppix. To convert your rpm to a deb just 'alien -d <packagename'.
For sounds first check kmix & turn the volumes up; they are zero by default. You will need at least master & PCM turned up.
Also see this:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14604
It says I must run as root or use fakeroot?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Installing RPM packages

Originally Posted by
HewJass
It says I must run as root or use fakeroot?
You must be root (administrator level user) to install packages. Type 'su' to become root.. No password is required but you should set a root password, if you run any kde applications as root using kdesu you will need one. Type 'sudo passwd' to set a root password.
-
Re: Installing RPM packages

Originally Posted by
CrashedAgain

Originally Posted by
HewJass
It says I must run as root or use fakeroot?
You must be root (administrator level user) to install packages. Type 'su' to become root.. No password is required but you should set a root password, if you run any kde applications as root using kdesu you will need one. Type 'sudo passwd' to set a root password.
Nevermind, I just got Fedora Core and I'm really happy with it for now (only had it for about an hour though), for now I think it's excellent and the sounds works+it recognizes my video card
Similar Threads
-
By knithx in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-27-2006, 09:26 PM
-
By asearle in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-15-2005, 07:52 PM
-
By jsweatte in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 01-27-2005, 05:22 PM
-
By pankajgadhari in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-19-2003, 04:33 PM
-
By gtgoku in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-07-2003, 07:02 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays
$599.99

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99