-
SuSe Pro 9.2 or Knoppix 3.7?
Which one is better? Because FOR SOME WEIRD REASON I have found a full download of 9.2 on the Novell website... Ask me why they sell it and give it away is beyond me... But which one is better and less confusing?
-
Senior Member
registered user
You mentioned you used Linspire. Did it not fit you? I find Linspire to be a good replacement for a Windows machine that only does basic functions like office. email, web, music. If my parents were not already running a Debian machine, I would give them Linspire. For an advanced user Linspire may be too restrictive & too dumbed down.
But which one is better and less confusing?
Both!
Knoppix is great as a LiveCD, great to play around with but is not a good choice to install to hard drive. It is not easy to patch & update because Knoppix is not intended to be installed to the hard drive (it a neat hack, but still a hack.) If you want a LiveCD that installs to the hard drive easily then seek out Kanotix http://kanotix.com/info/index.php.
Suse 9.2 is not a LiveCD & is intended to be installed on the hard drive. I like it & I am running it on 2 of my systems.
News link of Suse 9.2 on FTP servers http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=02238
Review of Suse 9.2 http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/reviewsuse92.html
-

Originally Posted by
UnderScore
You mentioned you used Linspire. Did it not fit you? I find Linspire to be a good replacement for a Windows machine that only does basic functions like office. email, web, music. If my parents were not already running a Debian machine, I would give them Linspire. For an advanced user Linspire may be too restrictive & too dumbed down.
But which one is better and less confusing?
Both!
Knoppix is great as a LiveCD, great to play around with but is not a good choice to install to hard drive. It is not easy to patch & update because Knoppix is not intended to be installed to the hard drive (it a neat hack, but still a hack.) If you want a LiveCD that installs to the hard drive easily then seek out Kanotix
http://kanotix.com/info/index.php.
Suse 9.2 is not a LiveCD & is intended to be installed on the hard drive. I like it & I am running it on 2 of my systems.
News link of Suse 9.2 on FTP servers
http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=02238
Review of Suse 9.2
http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/reviewsuse92.html
Thanks for your reply. I did use Linspire but Linux in general is way too confusing to me. edpecialy the directories.. And I can't seem to be able to install my ATI drivers...
-
Senior Member
registered user
but Linux in general is way too confusing to me. edpecialy the directories..
Unfortunetly, knowledge is never gained without the learning process. I spent 6 years becoming an expert on DOS/Windows & I then had to spend 4 years to become an expert in Unix & Linux. The only advice I have is to keep trying & seek out a local Linux guru or guide, someone to call on the phone.
ATI supplied 3D video drivers are not easy to install in Linux. For 2D (regular desktop graphics, not games) the standard XFree86 drivers included with every distro should be fine. In other words, you do not need to install the 3D drivers unless you intend to play games. If you are interested in using Suse 9.2 then visit the Suse forums at LinuxQuestions.org http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...?s=&forumid=60.
I hope this helps.
James
Similar Threads
-
By surfsteve in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-03-2006, 02:49 AM
-
By dakky21 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 10
Last Post: 12-29-2005, 09:37 PM
-
By roju in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-13-2005, 03:31 PM
-
By heydude in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-12-2005, 03:49 PM
-
By thedaz in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-17-2004, 10:39 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00

Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor
$79.00

CPU-RAM-MOBO COMBO- 32gb DDR4 3600MHz, i5 CPU, Asus Prime Motherboard
$370.00

HP ProDesk 405 G8 Desktop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 5650GE 16GB RAM 512GB SSD W11P
$319.99

Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU
$74.99

Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13 3.0 GHz Desktop CPU
$80.00

Intel Core i5-14600KF Unlocked Desktop Processor
$259.99

Matched Pair _ Intel Xeon E5-2698 V4 2.2GHz 20-Core Processor CPU LGA2011 SR2JW
$94.99

Intel Core Ultra 5 235T SRQES Desktop CPU
$109.99

GAMING COMBO: ASUS Prime H470M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-10600KF CPU + 16GB DDR4
$229.95