Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 42 of 42

Thread: A few n00b questions

  1. #41
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    200
    Your machine sounds very customized. I would recommend trying a different flavor of linux - probably a linux that is optimized for your 64bit processor. Knoppix is a great distro, but I have found that it works best on machines that have relatively simple, standard hardware. Since your machine is using so many high-end parts, a CD-based distro is not very likely to include the software necessary to power all of it. Try something more robust like Fedora Core 3 or Suse.

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    N California
    Posts
    2

    Audigy soundcard issue "kind of" resolved with kno

    First I realized that I had posted a reply to the sub item in the original topic section, my mistake sorry.

    Ok, as far as other distros, I'll certainly look into that. Its just that the (planned) attraction of the Knoppix Live CD approach is in allowing folks like me to take a peek at Linux before we potentially go whole hog with a full blown distro.

    Audigy Soundcard issue: Looking further into the forums, I saw advice to use the knoppix26 at boot. This seemed to sort of work as I can now get output from the analog jacks on the Audigy. This is where my headphones are on the Audigy. So, I can get sound outout on the headphones, but still no sound on the digital/SPIDF outs where my speakers are. Just have to keep trying I guess.

    Failsafe Boot: knoppix26 also seems to address the broader hardware detection issues I listed before (USB and Firewire dtection hang) and it did see, and mount my external USB HD. So thats very cool.

    Printer: I still cannot get my HP 2510 network printer to be detected or set up for printing. Something about CUPS server not being initiated. Guess that'll take a few more days of poking around the forums.

    My remaining question has still not been addressed either by my own rather limited use or another moreexperienced forum member. I can see using the Knoppix Live CD as a recovery tool, and maybe as a noobie playground for basic Linux exposure, but so far this system is so much more difficult to setup than any recent Windows or MAC system I have used that I can't see relying on it as an everyday tool. My initial impression is that It's very DOS like, with an "almost there" GUI. Still trying to understand why I would want to use this system as opposed to XP or OS X, particularly as an exclusive OS.

    Any insight from you much more experienced users is welcome, I am really trying to be open minded and learn some basics before comign to any firm conclusions.

    Paul

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-18-2005, 10:08 PM
  2. 3.6 HDD install for n00b..plz
    By Knad in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-10-2004, 09:48 PM
  3. n00b questions
    By kidclueless in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-20-2004, 06:14 AM
  4. Im a n00b i need help plz!!
    By blackout in forum General Support
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 08:07 AM
  5. Knoppix n00b, got a few questions......
    By ZeRo in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-29-2003, 10:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Samsung 32GBX2 1Rx4 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory M393A4G40AB3-CWEBQ 64GB EC picture

Samsung 32GBX2 1Rx4 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory M393A4G40AB3-CWEBQ 64GB EC

$370.00



SK Hynix 8GB 1RX4 PC4-2133P-RC0-10 Registered Server RAM HMA41GR7MFR4N-TF TD AB picture

SK Hynix 8GB 1RX4 PC4-2133P-RC0-10 Registered Server RAM HMA41GR7MFR4N-TF TD AB

$34.99



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Lot 4 Samsung 64gb PC4-25600 2Rx4 DDR4-3200AA ECC RDIMM Reg Server Memory RAM picture

Lot 4 Samsung 64gb PC4-25600 2Rx4 DDR4-3200AA ECC RDIMM Reg Server Memory RAM

$3199.00



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98