-
A few n00b questions
Ok, here I am, typing this message from KNOPPIX's v.3.7 Konqueror! Just downloaded the distro (3 days with 8 kb/s!).
As I said, I'm new to Linux, so I have a few questions about KNOPPIX:
-I saw somewhere in this forum a post where someone said that Knoppix is nothing more than a toy w/o any support. Is it true? I'm considering installing a Linux OS (along with the already installed Win XP) on my system and I need to know whether to go on with Knoppix or turn to something else.
-I've read almost all the topics in this forum ("MS Windows & new to Linux") and as far as I understand, the steps to install Knoppix should be: partition the HD (after a defrag), install Knoppix and configure a bootloader (LILO or Grub).
If so, what's the best way to do it (consider I have 2 partitions: 75/45 Gb, with XP installed on C): should I create 2 more partitions (swap and ext2/3) from Windows with PartitionMagic and then install Knoppix or should I directly run Knopppix-installer and partition with qtparted?
I don't want to mess something up, although I'm not quite a noob to computers (only to Linux).
-again, what's the best way to make sure my paritions (NTFS) remain intact (although resized)?
-on boot, when detecting devices, it says it doesn't know the manufacturer/driver for my video card (ASUS Radeon 9200SE/128 MB). Why? Radeon is not such a new chipset.
That's about all for now...but I'll probably stress you with more questions!
Similar Threads
-
By ginny in forum Laptops
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-18-2005, 10:08 PM
-
By Knad in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-10-2004, 09:48 PM
-
By kidclueless in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-20-2004, 06:14 AM
-
By blackout in forum General Support
Replies: 15
Last Post: 02-03-2004, 08:07 AM
-
By ZeRo in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-29-2003, 10:21 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Server Drive and 3.5" Cradle. 960GB SSD Enterprise
$300.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2144G 3.6GHz 16GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W
$149.00

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$381.93

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard)
$399.95

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$169.99