-
Hey bfree! Guess what...just installed Debian. Therefore I have some questions for you:
-GRUB allows me to choose between Debian and XP but why does it say Debian 2.4? The kernel isn't supposed to be 2.6.xx?
-this second question should belong to the hardware section but...anyway, why my maximum resolution is 800x600? Also, the max refresh rate is 75 Hz. How come? Knoppix worked just fine in 1024x768/85Hz.
I'm eagerly waiting your response.
Regards, harken.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
harken
bfree, one more question. You said:
...where to install and where to install the boot loader). Install into the mbr...
When I installed Knoppix I already put LiLO into the MBR. Should I let Debian put it again?
I would let debian do it again, but if you already have a copy of lilo installed you don't have to. If you let Debian take the mbr it should automatically setup your knoppix aswell (as I understand it) but if you don't let debian have the mbr you will have to add debian to the knoppix lilo.conf and re-run lilo (either under knoppix or by using some options).
-
I see you haven't read my last post yet. Actually, first I formatted the 2nd HD which held Knoppix, then installed Debian (3 1/2 hours) and I let it write the GRUB to MBR. Works fine.
I solved the resolution problem with a dpkg-reconfigure xfree -xfree86.
But, what about the kernel? It seems like I have to get 2.6 and compile it myself? Or is there any other way around?
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
harken
I see you haven't read my last post yet. Actually, first I formatted the 2nd HD which held Knoppix, then installed Debian (3 1/2 hours) and I let it write the GRUB to MBR. Works fine.
I solved the resolution problem with a dpkg-reconfigure xfree -xfree86.
But, what about the kernel? It seems like I have to get 2.6 and compile it myself? Or is there any other way around?
No need to compile it. You just need to install kernel-image-2.6-$ARCH where $ARCH is one of 386, 686, 686-smp, amd64-generic, amd64-k8, amd64-k8-smp, em64t-p4, em64t-p4-smp, k7, k7-smp. You can visit http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/s...searchon=names or run "apt-cache search kernel-image-2.6 | less" to have a look at all the choices available. So you end up running "apt-get install kernel-image-2.6-686" if you have a regular Pentium Pro to P4 (non emt64).
-
Senior Member
registered user
I think there was option option to install with the netinst.
Something like
linux26
-
Thanks a lot! Already installed it!
Well bfree, you should expect further questions from me in the future. That's what you deserve when you help people
-
bfree, I told you I'll ask you some more questions.
My netowk connection seems not to work properly all the time. Sometimes it runs ok, other times it doesn't at all even if I don't change the settings. In Win XP it runs just fine, without any problems.
I tried to set myself the connection's parameters: IP, subnet mask, and gateway with the same values they are set in XP. But no result.
Why is that happening?
The only thing "out of the ordinary" I did since I installed Debian (and then the network was running flawlessly) was installing the 2.6.8 hernel. But it still worked after that, and at the next reboot it stopped working. Another reboot and it ran again. Right now it's not woking again.
I must add that since my CPU is an AMD Athlon XP I grabbed the 2.6.8-1-k7 kernel. Was I wrong?
-
Junior Member
registered user
Distro for old Pentium 100MHz
I have been running Knoppix3.6 w 2.4Kernel on mz P2 333for several weeks. I am contemplating running some vers. of Linux on a Pentium 100 that struggles with Win95. I read on Kano site that it is not for olderCPUs. I picked up a 3CD vers. of OpenLinux eDesktop2.4 at Salvation Army, also have Knoppix CDs for vers.3.3 3.4 3.6. I want to install OfficeWriter, Firefox, CD Player and burner. I have a 850MB HD currently. Will it fit? I doubt that the MB will support a 30GB and everything I have in between is dying.
Suggestions anyone?
dad
-
Think about it this way: in order to install Knoppix (and most of the other distros) you need at least 2 partitions on your HD: a swap one and a ext2 or ext3 one. Some say that the swap partition should be about twice the size of your currently installed RAM, other say that it could be the same size. Also think that the Knoppix LiveCD contains around 1.7 GB of applications and that is, of course, compressed.
Now, I'm no experienced user of Linux but I think that you should get yourself a bigger HD which can be supported by your computer (after all how much can cost a used but functional 10 GB HD).
Or, stop smoking
(or whatever) and get a new PC!
-
Another Knoppix noob seeking advice from you Linux masters
Ok, been thinking of trying out Linux for some time. I saw the very positive Knoppix review on Tomshardware and decided to give it a whirl. After two days (admittedly not very long) my issues/question:
no immediate joy on boot, hung on "detecting USB Firewire devices" even though I have none of those active. I had to use failsafe cheatcode which I think shorts Knoppix out of its normally good detecion process.
no sound from Audigy (used alsa cheatcode, but still no joy). Looked at about a million posts .. tried and tried .. no joy!
resolution is kind of off. install allows 1024x768 at 75hz, but still looks kind of funny compared to XP
Also, in general the apps look ok, but appear sort of unpolished compared to comparable Windoze apps (i.e. Office vs Open Office). Text/fonts in general are sort of crude looking too.
So question, and this is sincere .. I AM NOT looking to complain or get flamed... why is Linux such a good idea ? I have never had (at least since using XP v1) any problems just using my hardware, but in Linux (Knoppix live CD 3.7) I still can't do something seemingly simple as listen to tunes after hours of forum searching and totally obscure command line frustration.
Any ideas or (clean) suggestions ?
Hardware Setup for reference
ASUS K8V SE Deluxe
AMD64 3200
1g RAM
ATI 9800 Pro 256
Audigy MP3
80 gb WD IDE
Plextor DVD/CD RW
Thanks for any help or insight you might provide me
Paul
Sony CD
Similar Threads
-
By ginny in forum Laptops
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-18-2005, 10:08 PM
-
By Knad in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-10-2004, 09:48 PM
-
By kidclueless in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-20-2004, 06:14 AM
-
By blackout in forum General Support
Replies: 15
Last Post: 02-03-2004, 08:07 AM
-
By ZeRo in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-29-2003, 10:21 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac
$90.00

Vintage AppleDesign Keyboard M2980 & Mouse II M2706 ADB Cable Bundle Mac
$69.99

Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read
$295.00

Apple Macintosh Plus Vintage Mac Computer Shell Front/Back Only (260200)
$29.99

Apple Macintosh 512K Vintage Compact Desktop Computer Classic Mac
$197.00

1991 Vintage Apple Macintosh Mac System Disks 914-0363-B Software tidbits 7.0.1
$24.95

Vintage 1989 APPLE MACINTOSH IIci M5780 Desktop Personal Computer UNTESTED
$99.90

Vintage APPLE POWER MACINTOSH 8500/180 M3409 w/ Original Box & Reciept UNTESTED
$199.00

Vintage Apple Mac A1048 White Wired Full Size Keyboard w/ 2 USB Ports TESTED
$22.89

VTG Apple Macintosh Owner's Guide Manual Mixed Lot With System 7 Software
$200.00