Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 42

Thread: A few n00b questions

  1. #31
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    39
    Hey bfree! Guess what...just installed Debian. Therefore I have some questions for you:
    -GRUB allows me to choose between Debian and XP but why does it say Debian 2.4? The kernel isn't supposed to be 2.6.xx?
    -this second question should belong to the hardware section but...anyway, why my maximum resolution is 800x600? Also, the max refresh rate is 75 Hz. How come? Knoppix worked just fine in 1024x768/85Hz.

    I'm eagerly waiting your response.
    Regards, harken.

  2. #32
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by harken
    bfree, one more question. You said:
    ...where to install and where to install the boot loader). Install into the mbr...
    When I installed Knoppix I already put LiLO into the MBR. Should I let Debian put it again?
    I would let debian do it again, but if you already have a copy of lilo installed you don't have to. If you let Debian take the mbr it should automatically setup your knoppix aswell (as I understand it) but if you don't let debian have the mbr you will have to add debian to the knoppix lilo.conf and re-run lilo (either under knoppix or by using some options).

  3. #33
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    39
    I see you haven't read my last post yet. Actually, first I formatted the 2nd HD which held Knoppix, then installed Debian (3 1/2 hours) and I let it write the GRUB to MBR. Works fine.
    I solved the resolution problem with a dpkg-reconfigure xfree -xfree86.

    But, what about the kernel? It seems like I have to get 2.6 and compile it myself? Or is there any other way around?

  4. #34
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by harken
    I see you haven't read my last post yet. Actually, first I formatted the 2nd HD which held Knoppix, then installed Debian (3 1/2 hours) and I let it write the GRUB to MBR. Works fine.
    I solved the resolution problem with a dpkg-reconfigure xfree -xfree86.

    But, what about the kernel? It seems like I have to get 2.6 and compile it myself? Or is there any other way around?
    No need to compile it. You just need to install kernel-image-2.6-$ARCH where $ARCH is one of 386, 686, 686-smp, amd64-generic, amd64-k8, amd64-k8-smp, em64t-p4, em64t-p4-smp, k7, k7-smp. You can visit http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/s...searchon=names or run "apt-cache search kernel-image-2.6 | less" to have a look at all the choices available. So you end up running "apt-get install kernel-image-2.6-686" if you have a regular Pentium Pro to P4 (non emt64).

  5. #35
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    I think there was option option to install with the netinst.

    Something like

    linux26

  6. #36
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    39
    Thanks a lot! Already installed it!
    Well bfree, you should expect further questions from me in the future. That's what you deserve when you help people

  7. #37
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    39
    bfree, I told you I'll ask you some more questions.
    My netowk connection seems not to work properly all the time. Sometimes it runs ok, other times it doesn't at all even if I don't change the settings. In Win XP it runs just fine, without any problems.
    I tried to set myself the connection's parameters: IP, subnet mask, and gateway with the same values they are set in XP. But no result.
    Why is that happening?
    The only thing "out of the ordinary" I did since I installed Debian (and then the network was running flawlessly) was installing the 2.6.8 hernel. But it still worked after that, and at the next reboot it stopped working. Another reboot and it ran again. Right now it's not woking again.

    I must add that since my CPU is an AMD Athlon XP I grabbed the 2.6.8-1-k7 kernel. Was I wrong?

  8. #38
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    19

    Distro for old Pentium 100MHz

    I have been running Knoppix3.6 w 2.4Kernel on mz P2 333for several weeks. I am contemplating running some vers. of Linux on a Pentium 100 that struggles with Win95. I read on Kano site that it is not for olderCPUs. I picked up a 3CD vers. of OpenLinux eDesktop2.4 at Salvation Army, also have Knoppix CDs for vers.3.3 3.4 3.6. I want to install OfficeWriter, Firefox, CD Player and burner. I have a 850MB HD currently. Will it fit? I doubt that the MB will support a 30GB and everything I have in between is dying.

    Suggestions anyone?

    dad

  9. #39
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    39
    Think about it this way: in order to install Knoppix (and most of the other distros) you need at least 2 partitions on your HD: a swap one and a ext2 or ext3 one. Some say that the swap partition should be about twice the size of your currently installed RAM, other say that it could be the same size. Also think that the Knoppix LiveCD contains around 1.7 GB of applications and that is, of course, compressed.
    Now, I'm no experienced user of Linux but I think that you should get yourself a bigger HD which can be supported by your computer (after all how much can cost a used but functional 10 GB HD).

    Or, stop smoking (or whatever) and get a new PC!

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    N California
    Posts
    2

    Another Knoppix noob seeking advice from you Linux masters

    Ok, been thinking of trying out Linux for some time. I saw the very positive Knoppix review on Tomshardware and decided to give it a whirl. After two days (admittedly not very long) my issues/question:

    no immediate joy on boot, hung on "detecting USB Firewire devices" even though I have none of those active. I had to use failsafe cheatcode which I think shorts Knoppix out of its normally good detecion process.

    no sound from Audigy (used alsa cheatcode, but still no joy). Looked at about a million posts .. tried and tried .. no joy!

    resolution is kind of off. install allows 1024x768 at 75hz, but still looks kind of funny compared to XP

    Also, in general the apps look ok, but appear sort of unpolished compared to comparable Windoze apps (i.e. Office vs Open Office). Text/fonts in general are sort of crude looking too.

    So question, and this is sincere .. I AM NOT looking to complain or get flamed... why is Linux such a good idea ? I have never had (at least since using XP v1) any problems just using my hardware, but in Linux (Knoppix live CD 3.7) I still can't do something seemingly simple as listen to tunes after hours of forum searching and totally obscure command line frustration.

    Any ideas or (clean) suggestions ?

    Hardware Setup for reference
    ASUS K8V SE Deluxe
    AMD64 3200
    1g RAM
    ATI 9800 Pro 256
    Audigy MP3
    80 gb WD IDE
    Plextor DVD/CD RW

    Thanks for any help or insight you might provide me

    Paul
    Sony CD

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-18-2005, 10:08 PM
  2. 3.6 HDD install for n00b..plz
    By Knad in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-10-2004, 09:48 PM
  3. n00b questions
    By kidclueless in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-20-2004, 06:14 AM
  4. Im a n00b i need help plz!!
    By blackout in forum General Support
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 08:07 AM
  5. Knoppix n00b, got a few questions......
    By ZeRo in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-29-2003, 10:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


DEC Vintage Module/Board Collectable Vintage chip - 1 BROKEN LEG (BO) picture

DEC Vintage Module/Board Collectable Vintage chip - 1 BROKEN LEG (BO)

$200.00



Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$299.99



DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage picture

DEC T2053-DE MS65A-DA 128MB VAX 6000 Memory Board Gold Scrap Vintage

$74.99



6 Vintage DEC Digital System Building Blocks - Flip Chips  picture

6 Vintage DEC Digital System Building Blocks - Flip Chips

$145.00



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts

$59.99



DEC Digital DECmate III PC238 PDP-8 6120 RX50 Dual Floppy Vintage Computer picture

DEC Digital DECmate III PC238 PDP-8 6120 RX50 Dual Floppy Vintage Computer

$649.95



Vintage DEC Digital VR299-DA CRT Color Monitor for VAXstation 2000 Computer picture

Vintage DEC Digital VR299-DA CRT Color Monitor for VAXstation 2000 Computer

$299.95



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



DEC DIGITAL VINTAGE M7544 picture

DEC DIGITAL VINTAGE M7544

$100.00