Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: A bunch of knoppix questions.....

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4

    A bunch of knoppix questions.....

    I will pleased to get answer's to any of these questions, bearing in mind I know little about linux

    Firstly I have three main drives when I bootup besides the cdrom and floppy drive
    Hda1 - My Windows NTFS partition
    Hda2 - My Linux Partition
    Sda1 - My Pen Drive

    Firstly I want all of these drives mounted when I boot up.

    Secondly I want so that all apps have read/write access to all these drives - I do know about permissions from having used chmod's on redhat web server's (via ftp) so I changed them on sda1 (777) however when I open things up in openoffice they are still read only
    [edit - I fixed the problem by changing the permissions elsewhere on SDA1 - but I still have the saem problem on HDA 1 and 2]

    Thirdly I would like if possible the pen drive to be like a windows pen drive - is appears as a drive when you put it in and disappears when you take it out.

    Also when I installed knoppix, I had to use a third party installation app - and it set my lanquage as german - which I can bearly understand - if I was going to use any foreign lanquage it would have been french. Anway I changed back the lanquage for kde after findign the right option in control center, but mozilla and gaim are still in german - how can I change this?

    And last but not least - I have six gig of apps I want to get rid of a few because I don't need them - how do I this.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: A bunch of knoppix questions.....

    Quote Originally Posted by jatos
    I will pleased to get answer's to any of these questions, bearing in mind I know little about linux

    Firstly I have three main drives when I bootup besides the cdrom and floppy drive
    Hda1 - My Windows NTFS partition
    Hda2 - My Linux Partition
    Sda1 - My Pen Drive

    Firstly I want all of these drives mounted when I boot up.

    Secondly I want so that all apps have read/write access to all these drives - I do know about permissions from having used chmod's on redhat web server's (via ftp) so I changed them on sda1 (777) however when I open things up in openoffice they are still read only
    [edit - I fixed the problem by changing the permissions elsewhere on SDA1 - but I still have the saem problem on HDA 1 and 2]

    Thirdly I would like if possible the pen drive to be like a windows pen drive - is appears as a drive when you put it in and disappears when you take it out.

    Also when I installed knoppix, I had to use a third party installation app - and it set my lanquage as german - which I can bearly understand - if I was going to use any foreign lanquage it would have been french. Anway I changed back the lanquage for kde after findign the right option in control center, but mozilla and gaim are still in german - how can I change this?

    And last but not least - I have six gig of apps I want to get rid of a few because I don't need them - how do I this.
    First & second: edit your /etc/fstab replace 'noauto' with 'auto' (or leave it off...'auto' is the default) to have your drives mount on automatically on startup. Add a 'umask' entry to have the drive mount read/write or not as you wish. (Do NOT mount a windows NTFS partition read/write, linux cannot write to NTFS drives).

    example:
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat umask=022,users 0 0
    /dev/hda7 /mnt/hda7 vfat shortname=mixed,umask=000,users 0 0

    hda1 is mounted read only for users, read/write for root. hda7 is read/write for all. shortname=mixed allows capitals in filenames, otherwise vfat drives use all lower case
    see man fstab for more info.

    Third: You would need to use automounter for this. Don't know how, I don't have a pen drive. Perhaps someone else will respond...

    Fourth:
    What 'third party installation app? Knoppix has a built in HD installer ("knoppix-installer"). Anyway, assuming you have lilo, bootcodes are contained in the 'append=' line in /etc/lilo.conf. Edit to add 'lang=us' to the append= line in lilo.conf then rerun lilo (enter "lilo" as root) to implement the changes.

    Fifth: 6Gigs! You must have a lot of extras, Knoppix usually installs to 2.3 Gigs.
    Adding/removing apps on a Debian based system is done with dpkg & apt-get. See this: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15298
    for info on installing programs in Debian. Also check out the apt-get/dpkg tutorial on this forum.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4
    Thankyou for that but one question: how do I start kwrite as root so I can actually edit fstab?

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Earf
    Posts
    17
    open a root terminal and type

    kwrite

    that'll get you kwrite as root.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 4.0.2 Questions
    By Vyper in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-09-2006, 11:05 PM
  2. Knoppix 3.6 - 3.7 Questions
    By beforewisdom in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 02:41 PM
  3. Just a bunch of "99"s
    By stuart_b in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-19-2004, 10:10 PM
  4. F'ed by Xp "Thanks a bunch peter"
    By Paper_Sack in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-18-2003, 06:38 PM
  5. New to Knoppix some questions
    By Jorah in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-04-2003, 05:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Asrock Rack ROMED8-2T Server Motherboard AMD EPYC 7003 (with AMD 3D V-Cache Tech picture

Asrock Rack ROMED8-2T Server Motherboard AMD EPYC 7003 (with AMD 3D V-Cache Tech

$747.99