I recently downloaded a file called kaffeine-0.5.tar.bz2, because I want to install kaffeine on my computer. What do I do with it now?!
I recently downloaded a file called kaffeine-0.5.tar.bz2, because I want to install kaffeine on my computer. What do I do with it now?!
tar xvf filename.tar
tar xvzf filename.tar.gz
tar xvjf filename.tar.bz2
unzip filename.zip -d /path/folder
unrar -x filename.rar
So for your file open a console and do: tar xvjf kaffeine-0.5.tar.bz2
That said, you should actually install kaffeine with apt:
su
dselect update
apt-get install kaffeine -s
If the output looks ok, remove the -s for simulation.
ok, cool. so let me break these commands down (just so I can check my understanding)
it looks like "su" puts me in root/administration mode
"dselect update" runs an updating script
and "apt-get install kaffeine -s" installs the program using apt, which is a software management utility, right?[/quote]
CorrectOriginally Posted by jehan60188
Yep again, it updates your local database with what's available from repositories in your /etc/apt/sources.list"dselect update" runs an updating script
Yep, except that the -s simulates it first to check for problems.and "apt-get install kaffeine -s" installs the program using apt, which is a software management utility, right?
If you want a GUI for this you can try K.menu -> System -> KPackage
Have a look also at http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2638 for info about apt.
So to install kaffeine I would:
su
dselect update
apt-cache search kaffeine (to look for the package)
apt-cache policy kaffeine (if I want to see which version is installable)
apt-cache show kaffeine (to have a look at what it's about)
apt-get install kaffeine -s (to see if it would install ok)
apt-get install kaffeine (to actually install it)

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99
NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99
Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95
10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99
TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98
5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64
Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch
$115.00
5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99
Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99