Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Why Linux?

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    This was a fascinating thread to read, and, yes, I actually "read" it down to this point...

    To the one who posted about getting a WinModem running... I had been using Knoppix, had a winmodem working, but only in root, then I "upgraded" that system to Kanotix ( BH9a to be exact ), did a detect-ltmodem command, and POOF, it worked, flawlessly I might add. I hate to "toot my horn" -=- here -=- about another distro, but, as a wise man once said: ( to paraphrase ) to have something made in the image of ones self, is the best of flaterry -=- Kanotix is based on Knoppix... You may want to see just what kind of "winmodem" you have, it may already be "supported"...

    To the originator of this thread:
    I can think of many reasons why I first looked, and then shifted, and then went fully and completely, over to Linux...

    I develop programs, first for DOS ( and heck did it need programs ), then for Win3.1 ( not that this didnt need help ), then for Win95, and Win98, and NT... My very first "utility" programs were released shortly after DOS v3.x, and mostly did things that the DOS programs didnt do, or should have done... No "move" program, no "multiple" source file to one target location "copy", no overwrite warning, etc... I made more than 250 "utility" programs alone, for DOS...

    Now, the reasons for Linux, and the "demise" of M$ and its OS -=- cost, plain and simple... Compiler DOS Basic, cost: $150, to get into the Windows Development world, cost: $250, ( VB v1, 3, 5, and lastly 6 )... Cost for developing programs on Linux: zero, in fact, they come almost "pre-installed". You want Perl, just apt-get it, you want Python, same thing, you want C, or C++, or whatever, its either inclided, or a simple install away...

    Cost is one thing, security, stability, the ability to "see" what someone is doing, if you feel the need, i.e. "no secrets", are among the other things... I think Linux, is by far, a lot more secure than windows could ever "hope" to be... Stability, no contest; I can run weeks without a single problem, issue, or reboot / restart, and my resources dont go "bye bye", like in the other "compitition"... Being able to view the actual "source code" for what you run, and the ability to change it, to what you want or like, and make a new one, from the programs, all the way down to the actual OS itself. This is not only safer, but accountable. Not to mention verifiable... As a auther of a program stated, I think it was in GuardDog, "no ( secret ) hidden pills here". Even if there was, you could still look through the source and see if there were.

    If M$ ever went for "open source", and released there source code for ANY os that they ever released, one, it would probably be so hard to follow, you wouldnt want to read through it, and two, you wouldnt probably be able to alter, or change it, or even re-create it, without something else that M$ would want to sell to you. M$ is a "conglomerate of money making", and when they have all the money that they could ever want, or need, they will still want more... True, they should have money, heck, a wonderful OS doesnt grow on trees, and not without a horrendous amount of people, all wanting to get paid, but, I think Linux is "somewhat" proving this concept invalid. If not for the "kick" of saying "we did it!", or "it can be done!", or just the sheer bravery of tallented people who "do without being paid"... I think Linux is the old saying, coming true, and being proven: "I can do that better!" - Private Enterprise at its best. I think this is why Linux was started, and probably why it has gained in interest, and usage...

    I actually went to the Computer Store, to buy a ethernet card, and was shocked in seeing that it had "Linux" support, on the box... It listed a lot of the "main" Distro's, and the cards were "instantly" recognized by my Kanotix install, recognized, configured, and drivers included in the OS already - and this was a pretty new ethernet card... I think the "world" is waking up from a "dormant", "microsoft dominance", sleep... and here we are...

    I expect to see T-shirts, in the near future, with the printing on them: I was Linux, when Linux wasn't cool! or maybe, something like this: Linux? I was running "Linux" when you were still in diapers!

    Oh well, all I can say is, I am glad I am not running anything Windows anymore, I am glad, my system is glad, my small network cluster is glad, my internet connection is glad, my security is glad, my viri is glad, and lastly, my pocket book is "really" glad... Oh, yeah, and with Linux, I have resigned myself from having to make "utility" programs for lack of them being in the OS that I run... 'Cause everything I ever need, is either already there, or already made... I guess I can always go back to making "utility" programs for my "old" OS, instead of having to write them for my "current" OS ? ( but, why should I? Let them deal with there own OS, or change )

    My two cents worth,
    Ms. Cuddles
    ( and, no, that "Ms." does NOT stand to Microsoft )

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872

    putting my MS hat on

    Why linux ? Because you can.

    There is no clear advantage of linux over MS Window, for 95% of joe users(only disadvantage I would say). XP can be very reliable, I have been running it for weeks(not months only because I need to change setup here and there) without booting(just suspend and resume, still very iffy on linux to use it like this).

    You don't like IE(for security reason etc.), there is firefox for MS Window.

    You don't have the money for photoshop, there is GIMP for MS Window.

    You don't have the money for Office, there is OO for MS Window.

    In fact, most of the major open source applications have ports for MS Window and in many case, XP is a forced purchase item come with the hardware so cost is only a minor issue.

    XP has much better hardware support(from vendor, a sad fact).

    Having said that, I have 3 to 4 active running linux in my house and only 1 XP because one is a router, another is Xbox, a third(or fourth) running under XP(I need it for linux development) as linux is the only options for these devices and release their full potential.

    my 2 MS cent

  3. #13
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    58
    Why "Linux"? It sounds better!!

  4. #14
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    19
    Thanks for all your responses, I have been reading through the board quite regulary and feel I have learnt a lot from it.

    Why "Linux"? It sounds better!!
    It does, and Tux is great

    You don't have the money for photoshop, there is GIMP for MS Window.
    Ill try that

    This was a fascinating thread to read, and, yes, I actually "read" it down to this point...
    Thanks, its good to know s a n00b I can still post interesting threads :P

  5. #15
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Quote Originally Posted by your_breakfast
    Why "Linux"? It sounds better!!
    Hmmmm, I said the same thing about OS/2 Warp...

    I think the nice thing about Linux, is, it gives you a choice... Sure, you had a choice before... Windows [this], or Windows [that], etc...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. hi linux people, im new in linux need help......
    By eckotech in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-13-2006, 01:15 AM
  2. Free World Linux, can you help bring Linux to the poor..
    By skitzojase in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-06-2006, 07:56 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-14-2005, 08:36 AM
  4. Able to dual boot XP and linux but Linux goes to GRUB, help
    By istoleapig in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-19-2005, 09:28 AM
  5. Dizinha Linux, New project for "Small" Linux
    By Lame_Duck in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-08-2004, 05:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix 128GB (4 x 32GB) PC4-2400T DDR4 ECC Server Memory HMA84GR7MFR4N-UH picture

SK Hynix 128GB (4 x 32GB) PC4-2400T DDR4 ECC Server Memory HMA84GR7MFR4N-UH

$649.95



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard) picture

DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard)

$399.95



VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack) picture

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)

$1599.95



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$484.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$381.93



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99



MICROSOFT WINDOWS SERVER 2025 RDS 50 CAL NEW Factory Sealed picture

MICROSOFT WINDOWS SERVER 2025 RDS 50 CAL NEW Factory Sealed

$136.87