-
Junior Member
registered user
On-CD system stop on /etc/fstab
I am trying to run Knoppix 3.7 from a CD. The machine has an old PIII 550 processor, 64MB RAM, AGP video card, PCI network card, ISA modem, 40x CD-RW, and a 15GB hard drive. It seems to detect the hardare OK, but when it gets to "looking for partitions and creating /etc/fstab" (that's not word-for-word), the system just stops and sits there. I thought maybe it would just take a long time because of the small amount of RAM, but I let it sit for nearly an hour and nothing happened. I tried this several times with the same result.
I also tried booting with the cheatcode "failsafe" and it actually worked. It was able to boot up in KDE, but of course because it didn't detect all of the hardware, my mouse didn't work and I just had to shut down. Since it worked with "failsafe", I tried removing anything that wasn't needed (i.e. modem, network card), but that didn't work either. It stopped at the same place. What else can I try? All that remains is the processor, RAM, video card, hard drive, and CD.
Any ideas? Do I need more RAM? Could the ISA slots cause a problem? Could the network checking cause trouble?
Thanks
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: On-CD system stop on /etc/fstab
It should certainly run on that system, I would suggest that you try the nodma cheat code (I needed it in a system of that vintage with an old CD drive, but no longer need it on the same system now that I've swapped the CD drive).
Of course I'm hoping that you confirmed the md5 checksum of the ISO and that you burned the CD at 4x.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Burned at 4x?
I'm not sure. My brother (who is somewhat of a linux geek) burned it for me. How do I do a checksum of the ISO? Thanks for the help!
-
Junior Member
registered user
Another burner tried.
I have a TDK 40x CD-RW that I just purchased 6 months ago. I swapped it into the system and got the same result. I'll dry the nodma cheat anyway...
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Burned at 4x?

Originally Posted by
ackelley
I'm not sure. My brother (who is somewhat of a linux geek) burned it for me. How do I do a checksum of the ISO? Thanks for the help!
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ
Similar Threads
-
By radnor in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 04-04-2005, 07:08 PM
-
By cheetahman in forum General Support
Replies: 19
Last Post: 03-21-2005, 11:58 AM
-
By illinigator in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-19-2004, 10:11 PM
-
By Seeker in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-09-2004, 10:11 PM
-
By niyogi in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 08-17-2003, 11:53 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1599.99

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$225.00

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

IBM Storwize V5000E V5030E SAN Storage Control Enclosure Server w/ Dual 02PX517
$1249.99

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012
$109.99