Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Ramdisk failure

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3

    Ramdisk failure

    Hi all:

    I am having an issue running Knoppix on a system with an Athlon 750 Mhz CPU and 128 Megs of RAM. When Knoppix is booting, it timesout when it tries to initialize the ramdisk.

    Could this be due to faulty memory or is there maybe a cheatcode that I could try to fix this?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: Ramdisk failure

    Quote Originally Posted by Nedly

    Could this be due to faulty memory
    perhaps

    or is there maybe a cheatcode that I could try to fix this?
    have you booted

    failsafe

    The cheat codes are here in case you missed them.
    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3
    I tried avery cheat code that I could find on Knoppix.net that seemed applicable, inluding failsafe, and mem=128M.

    I'm thinking at this point that maybe it could be the chipset on the main board or memory.

    Thnaks for the reply

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Nedly
    main board or memory.
    I have seen alot of freaky things happen with funky ram. I had some "Buffalo" brand ram that my IBM booted no problem but Linux in general hated it. Bummer you can't get it to work though.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Royal Oak, Michigan USA
    Posts
    199

    RE: Ramdisk failure

    Quote Originally Posted by Nedly
    When Knoppix is booting, it times out when it tries to initialize theRAMDisk.
    You can isolate the RAM as a possible problem by running MemTest86: http://MemTest86.com. It's available in both bootable-floppy and bootable CD versions.

    Also, what motherboard model and/or chipset are you running?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3
    Thanks for the Memory tip, I will definitly check it out. I'm not sure what the chipset is (the machine is at work), Via of some sort. At least if I get some RAM diagnostics I should be able to isolate the problem.

    Thanks

Similar Threads

  1. /ramdisk
    By joshuabok in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-01-2004, 05:55 PM
  2. How to copy k3b to ramdisk?
    By Knoppixerin in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-11-2004, 01:57 PM
  3. Installing with apt-get on ramdisk
    By henrique in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-14-2003, 05:26 AM
  4. it crashes when creating ramdisk
    By tukun in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-28-2003, 08:03 AM
  5. How to get rid of the ramdisk /dev/shm?
    By glukorizon in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-05-2003, 08:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC

$115.00



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server picture

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server

$109.99



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 512GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 512GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$128.00



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay picture

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay

$500.00



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99