Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Spell Checker works in OOo but not KDE, Mozilla, etc

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    80

    Spell Checker works in OOo but not KDE, Mozilla, etc

    Mom-inlaw asked about getting the spell checker working in Mozilla and after some looking around, it looks like it's an easy fix but the Knoppix Build Masters need to handle this. It seems that Mozilla wants the dictionaries in /usr/lib/mozilla/companents/myspell but that directory is linked to /usr/share/myspell/dicts and /usr/share/myspell does not exist.

    But, OOo does have the dictionary files ( use find /opt/openoffice/. -name "*.dic" ) and so a solution could be to link the /usr/share/myspell/dicts to the OOo dictionary dir...

    I don't have a current/latest v3.7 harddisk install so I can't mount /KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX to see if this works. Anybody who has a current v3.7 bulid system willing to try this?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    80
    If anybody has some info on how to mount /KNOPPX/KNOPPIX using cloop when booted from a Knoppix CD I can look into fixing this and getting the details back to the maintainers.....

    I see that there are more than one /dev/cloop devices but I don't recall how to associate the next device( /dev/cloop1 ) with the a harddisk compressed filesystem for editing.

    I find it hard to believe this hasn't become and issue much earlier since another thread mentioned this in 2003 IIRC.

    cheers.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    80

    enable Mozilla Mail SpellChecker by link to OOo dicts

    though it appears nobody cares about the spellchecker, I'll post what I found anyways.

    As suspected, by creating dir directory /usr/share/myspell and then linking /opt/openoffice/share/dict/ooo to /usr/share/myspell/dicts the SpellChecker in Mozilla Mail started working. The KDE spellchecker is still broken and the error is something like "ISpell could not be started. Check your PATH."

    in executable code:
    mkdir /usr/share/myspell
    ln -s /opt/openoffice/share/dict/ooo /usr/share/myspell/dicts

    Now, are any of the Knoppix maintainers listening?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: enable Mozilla Mail SpellChecker by link to OOo dicts

    Quote Originally Posted by locutus
    though it appears nobody cares about the spellchecker, I'll post what I found anyways.
    It's not that nobody cares, just that I (we) don't have a solution for you. I have always (re)installed ispell on HD install:
    apt-get -t unstable install ispell, iamerican, ibritish, dictionary-common
    With this I have not had any problems with spellchecker, works in all KDE apps including kmail composer but I don't use mozilla so didn't think that would be much help.
    There is some spellchecker settings in control center but I assume you have already tried those.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    80
    Thanks for posting. To tell you the truth, I would have thought there would have been more people with a build or remaster setup willing to give my spellcheck idea a quick try. Once I created the remaster for v3.7 and verified the build process, it took all of about 10 minutes to link the OOo dicts to where Mozilla was thinking they were, build, boot, and test.

    As far as installing ispell goes, aspell seems to be already installed on Knoppix but it's not configured or fully functional for some reason. if there was more interest in fixing the bugs in Knoppix then I'd follow this through but as it is, my mom-in-laws problems with the spellchecker in Mozilla Mail are now fixed and that was something I told her I'd fix. That's good enough for me.

    cheers.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by locutus
    Thanks for posting. To tell you the truth, I would have thought there would have been more people with a build or remaster setup willing to give my spellcheck idea a quick try. Once I created the remaster for v3.7 and verified the build process, it took all of about 10 minutes to link the OOo dicts to where Mozilla was thinking they were, build, boot, and test.

    As far as installing ispell goes, aspell seems to be already installed on Knoppix but it's not configured or fully functional for some reason. if there was more interest in fixing the bugs in Knoppix then I'd follow this through but as it is, my mom-in-laws problems with the spellchecker in Mozilla Mail are now fixed and that was something I told her I'd fix. That's good enough for me.

    cheers.
    1. install the dictionaries for aspell (or make sure they are present in the system)
    2. verify in the KDE Control Center that regional settings and the spellcheck dictionary selected are of the *same* language. (e.g. "Country/Region & Language" = USA, Language = US English and "KDE Components->Spellchecker", Dictionary=English (United States) not just "Default" !)

    that worked for me, (running knoppix 4.0.2 CD w/o HDD on dell inspiron2500)

    hth

Similar Threads

  1. Thunderbird spell checker
    By lotech in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-19-2005, 05:50 PM
  2. Screen/pixel checker
    By Icke in forum Ideas
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-03-2005, 08:45 AM
  3. Spell checking
    By RoyalMail in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-07-2004, 02:09 PM
  4. Clicking mailto links in Mozilla opens Mozilla Mail notKMail
    By lavaman094 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-03-2003, 06:32 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-14-2003, 11:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Lot of 4 USED IPitomy IP620-B with IPX-32 DSS Expansion Module VoIP Phone POE picture

Lot of 4 USED IPitomy IP620-B with IPX-32 DSS Expansion Module VoIP Phone POE

$225.00



SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP picture

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP

$400.00



Lot of 9 Used IPitomy IP320-P HD POE Voice Speakerphone 12-Line VoIP Phone picture

Lot of 9 Used IPitomy IP320-P HD POE Voice Speakerphone 12-Line VoIP Phone

$225.00



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H picture

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H

$19.99



Lot of 4 Cisco CP-8841-3PW-NA-K9 8841 MPP Multiplatform VoIP IP Phone NEW picture

Lot of 4 Cisco CP-8841-3PW-NA-K9 8841 MPP Multiplatform VoIP IP Phone NEW

$450.00



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99