Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: setup lilo to boot from hd

  1. #11
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
    Why don't you want to do a full HD install?
    I too am interested in doing the HD based CD-image installation, and my answer to your question: I have found that the CD-Image installation makes for a great public-use kiosk computer, as in a school setting or house with lots of users. Why? Because with this setup people are discouraged enerally can't mess with the OS, basically all garbage (cookies, cache, spyware, viruses, etc.) dissapear with every reboot, and even if users do figure out how to wreck it, it takes only about 30 minutes to set the whole thing up again!

    The instructions here were *great* (thanks Markus!) for Knoppix 3.4 (I'd maybe only suggest chaning the 800MB min. to 900MB for the CD-image partition, since for some reason, more than once an 800MB partition in ext2 formatting proved not-enough):

    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hd_Based...4_version_only

    BUT these instructions (as they correctly indicate) only work with 3.4. What is frustrating is that the only reason they don't seem to work with more recent Knoppix releases is the very last step: specfically, "sudo lilo -C /mnt/hda6/lilo.conf" fails with the here-familiar "/dev/mapper/controlpen failed: No such device\Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?" error.

    After setting the whole thing up with Markus' instructions on a friend's family computer (they were tired of visitors -- kids primarily -- abusing it and making windows unbootable), but by using 3.7 because 3.4 wasn't available, I had to finally give-up after several hours because I couldn't get past the last step (lilo). So I gave up and just ran knoppix-installer. What interested me is that the knoppix-installer ran lilo just-fine. So what is going on? I've read this thread and a few others on this topic... and while for many I'm sure it is enough info to solve the problem, I still don't understand neither the problem nor how to get around it. And anyway, it seems like this is a bug that came up in 3.6.

    My instinct is to set it up with 3.7 and then just do the final step while booted from a 3.4 CD... I may try this on that friend's computer if I can get a hold of a 3.4 CD...

  2. #12
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Jansi
    My instinct is to set it up with 3.7 and then just do the final step while booted from a 3.4 CD... I may try this on that friend's computer if I can get a hold of a 3.4 CD...
    OK, tried that last night, just wanted to report that it worked great --

    That is, I use Markus's instructions all the way up to the last step ("Let lilo write the boot loader to the master boot record (sudo lilo -C /mnt/hda6/lilo.conf)"), at which point I shutdown, boot off a Knoppix 3.4 CD, an type (in keeping with Markus' example):

    sudo mount /dev/hda6 /mnt/hda6
    sudo mount /dev/hda6 /boot
    sudo lilo -C /mnt/hda6/lilo.conf

    And it works fine.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Umm, I didn't write the howto, just checked the wiki syntax due to conversion to mediawiki.
    If you want to edit the howto or add to it, please do.

  4. #14
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    30

    setup lilo to boot Poor Man's Installation of Knoppix 3.7

    Quote Originally Posted by Markus
    Umm, I didn't write the howto, just checked the wiki syntax due to conversion to mediawiki.
    If you want to edit the howto or add to it, please do.
    Oops! OK, I see how it works now.

    Thanks for the tip about editing -- I went ahead and added my bit about getting lilo to boot a copy of Knoppix 3.7 installed with the "tohd=" option (I believe that is called the "Poor Man's Installation", but correct me if I'm wrong).

    Also, I see that someone else already corrected /mnt/hda6 to /dev/hda6

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Yeah, I edited the /mnt/hda6 -> /dev/hda6 although I must say I'm not sure if it was wise.
    The point being that the device is mounted on all occasions, but the mountpoint is changed temporarily from /mnt/hda6 to /boot and then back to /mnt/hda6.
    You'll notice that I just changed it back to what the original author meant as he's talking about a partition, not a device. It's debatable which is the correct syntax here, so I'll just go with the authors version here. You can of course change it again

  6. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by sunpascal
    root@ttyp2[knoppix]# lilo -C /mnt/hda3/lilo.conf

    Warning: /mnt/hda3/lilo.conf should be owned by root
    /dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
    Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
    /dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
    Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
    Incompatible libdevmapper 1.00.19-ioctl (2004-07-03)(compat) and kernel driver
    Fatal: creat /boot/map~: Read-only file system
    write:
    modprobe dm-mod <enter>
    and lilo will work... without error


    put dm-mod to /etc/modules & /etc/modules-2.6.9

    > You need to have dm-mod loaded in your kernel
    from http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=p....it%26rnum%3D2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. How to adjust boot list in the BIOS Setup
    By fredolin in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-24-2005, 10:10 PM
  2. LILO Setup
    By cyberoidx in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-03-2005, 04:56 AM
  3. Lilo setup improperly on multi-hard drive setup, how to fix?
    By Kethinov in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-21-2003, 10:23 PM
  4. how to setup dual boot
    By tungcit in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-22-2003, 07:37 PM
  5. Boot cd with lilo or grub boot disk
    By keava in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-20-2003, 05:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1... picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...

$324.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$248.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount

$489.99



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99