Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: How to detect Linksys USB wireless network adapter

  1. #11
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14

    Linksys WUSB11 Wireless-B Network Adapter v2.8 #4 not workin

    Hi Grant,

    I tried the 2 config scripts and still no luck. Thanks for pointing out my typo. I did type ndiswrapper

    You mentioned in an earlier post that there are native linux drivers for my adapter? Where did you find them? Thank you!

    Ming Hai

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3
    I was having the same problem, lspci saw my card, but nothing I could do with modprobe would refresh the h/w. I managed to get my Linksys pci card up in Knoppix 3.7 (12-08-04) using the ndiswrapper method.
    I had to remove ndiswrapper from modprobe:
    #modprobe -r ndiswrapper
    I then loaded inf files that came with my card (lsbcmnds.inf, LSIPNDS.inf, WMP11NDS.inf)..
    #ndiswrapper -i /mnt/path/xxx.inf
    Now check to see that the drivers are loaded..
    #ndiswrapper -l
    Then reload the ndiswrapper module into the system..
    #insmod ndiswrapper
    At this point iwconfig should show you your wlan0. To renew its ip use
    #pump -i wlan0
    Now you should have wireless access..
    #ndiswrapper -m
    Enters the loaded drivers into a config file to simplify the process.. Saving my knoppix settings to my hdd after this will allow knoppix to boot to the point where all that needs to be done are the insmod and pump commands..

  3. #13
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14

    Linksys WUSB11 Wireless-B Network Adapter v2.8 #4 not workin

    Hi justwannahelp,

    Thanks for the tips. I followed your steps exactly but iwconfig never showed wlan0. When I did "pump -i wlan0", it says "Operation failed". Do I have to run "modprobe ndiswrapper" (I'm not sure what this does) at some point? Does it matter which Linux Kernel you're using? When I run the LiveCD, it seems to be using 2.4 kernel by default. Thank you!

    Ming Hai

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3
    IIRC, modprobe didn't work for me so I went to insmod, which told me that ndiswrapper was already loaded, so I unloaded it with modprobe -r ndiswrapper, and reloaded the changed ndiswrapper with insmod.. Try using modprobe to reload the altered ndiswrapper after you remove it from memory, who knows.. The ndiswrapper config .sh file doesn't use insmod at all.. It follows the basic principle you have been trying.. The .sh script only worked for me once, and I still can't tell you why.. I was dinking at the command line, and running the script when it worked.. After that, it took me 2 hours to figure this out (for my system) after the script failed on the next boot. I'm gonna try running the .sh script after I manually #modprobe -r ndiswrapper to see if I can get a better understanding of whats happening.. For me I think the key was the fact that ndiswrapper was already loaded and can't be overloaded.. I don't think modprobe's output makes this as clear as insmod.. Just out of curiousity, what inf file(s) are you dealing with, my card had 3 inf's and I'm not sure which out of the 3 actually needs to be loaded.. BTW, if iwconfig shows no wlan0 forget pump till it does..

  5. #15
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14

    Linksys

    So "modprobe ndiswrapper" does probably the same thing as "insmod ndiswrapper"? The file that came on the CD with the adpater is NETUSB.inf. When I downloaded the drivers from Linksys website though, it came with 3 .inf files. Maybe I should try loading all 3 ... Thanks for your help. If you learn anything more, please post

    Ming Hai

  6. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3
    If I'm not mistaken, the first time when I got it running using the .sh script, only lsbcmnds.inf was Loaded.. I'm using a Linksys WMP11 pci card, and I'm pretty sure I had it working without WMP11NDS.inf loaded.. I did some checking, modprobe actually utilizes insmod to insert modules.. It also takes care of all the prerequisite modules, so they suggest using modprobe.. In any case, make sure you unload ndiswrapper before modprobing it..

  7. #17
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    london town
    Posts
    220
    if you loaded them correctly you should get

    Code:
    ndiswrapper -l
    Installed ndis drivers:
    lsbcmnds        driver present
    lsipnds driver present, hardware present
    wmp11nds        driver present
    i am able to get this far and im able to see my ap in iwconfig but i cant connect to the ap.

  8. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1
    Has there been a resolution to this problem? I am having the exact same problem as minghai was having and I cannot resolve it using the suggestions listed. I have a Netgear WG311 that is supposedly compatible with Linux and it shows up in the pci listing. I just can't get it to show up as ath0 or wlan0.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. linksys wireless G usb adapter ...knoppix
    By w--w in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-14-2006, 10:43 AM
  2. External USB Linksys Wireless-B Network adapter question
    By cdgeorge in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-12-2005, 12:32 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-11-2005, 04:18 AM
  4. Linksys WUSB11 v2.5 Wireless Network Adapter (Prism)
    By Tankerkevo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-15-2004, 06:37 PM
  5. Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter
    By jeff_20_ in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-01-2003, 03:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SAMSUNG 64GB 2Rx4 PC4-3200AA-RB4-12-MH1 DDR4 ECC RDIMM M393A8G40BB4-CWECO picture

SAMSUNG 64GB 2Rx4 PC4-3200AA-RB4-12-MH1 DDR4 ECC RDIMM M393A8G40BB4-CWECO

$650.00



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$229.50



(LOT OF 6) Samsung 16GB PC5-44800 DDR5-5600B 1Rx8 SODIMM Laptop RAM Memory picture

(LOT OF 6) Samsung 16GB PC5-44800 DDR5-5600B 1Rx8 SODIMM Laptop RAM Memory

$1050.00



Samsung Lenovo 46W0831 192GB lot of 12 16GB DDR4 truDDR4 ECC Reg PC4-2400T RAM  picture

Samsung Lenovo 46W0831 192GB lot of 12 16GB DDR4 truDDR4 ECC Reg PC4-2400T RAM

$1049.79



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



LOT 8 SK Hynix 32GB DDR4 2Rx4 PC4-2400T RB2 ECC RDIMM Server RAM HMA84GR7AFR4N picture

LOT 8 SK Hynix 32GB DDR4 2Rx4 PC4-2400T RB2 ECC RDIMM Server RAM HMA84GR7AFR4N

$1599.99



x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM picture

x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM

$329.99



16GB SK Hynix HMA42GR7MFR4N-TF DDR4 PC4-2133P RDIMM Server Memory picture

16GB SK Hynix HMA42GR7MFR4N-TF DDR4 PC4-2133P RDIMM Server Memory

$69.99