AFAIK, DMA is now the default. Some older systems need the nodma cheat code, but the DMA cheat code should have no effect.Originally Posted by brunomfpaula
Hello all, I'm using knoppix live CD and i would like to know if activating "knoppix dma" during the boot really incrises the speed or if it makes any harm for my PC.
I'll wait for an answer, thaks anyway.
AFAIK, DMA is now the default. Some older systems need the nodma cheat code, but the DMA cheat code should have no effect.Originally Posted by brunomfpaula
I know I posted this FAQ in a previous posting ( sometime ), but, could not locate the thread I had put it into, so, here goes again...Originally Posted by brunomfpaula
From the "Microsoft Support" web site:
Here is the LINK
This is the "Definitions of Common Integrated Drive Electronics (IDE) Terms"
And here is the "snippet" of the DMA definition:
and to include the ATA "snippet" definition:Originally Posted by Support.Microsoft.Com
just to include this, the definition of IDE:Originally Posted by Support.Microsoft.Com
I can easily say, I have a hard drive ( Samsung ), that refuses to let me use DMA on it, I usually have to "force" DMA off on this drive, or I get floods of errors in my system log when the drive is either mounted or touched. Having DMA dissabled on one drive, while the other drive has it enabled, has not proven to be a problem; I have had no errors, and no "noticable" speed / transfer rate issues. From the above "quotes", I gather that DMA is only for having "faster" speeds of drives, and if you dont notice the usage, or lack of, using DMA, then its only "water under the bridge" kind of thing...Originally Posted by Support.Microsoft.Com
Upon, running around to locate the above links and data, I did come about "programming" at the system level for Windows Server, and the "census" of Microsoft is, that some devices, of these being of the "older" age, may not allow usage of DMA on them, and, being the "good" OS that Microsoft is, they will "depreciate" any devices that fail with DMA of five or more errors, down to PIO, and dissable the use of DMA on these devices.
So, you may want to try DMA on your devices, and if you get errors, dissable DMA... If all goes well, then leave DMA enabled... This can be for any device, and any age... Since you can buy a new device, but the device may be using a controller that may be older.
Hope this helps, a little
Ms. Cuddles
Thanks to all, i have no more doubts about it.

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99
Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99
MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI DDR4 LGA 1700 Intel Z790 SATA 6Gb/s DDR4 ATX Motherboard
$163.49
ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW
$121.45
GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99
ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
$76.49
Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90
ASUS H110I-PLUS Motherboard LGA1151 w/ I5-7400 CPU, 8GB, Heatsink & I/O Shield
$60.00
MSI B460m-Bomber LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen B460 M-ATX Intel Motherboard
$59.99
ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU
$45.00