Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: KNOPPIX DMA

  1. #1

    KNOPPIX DMA

    Hello all, I'm using knoppix live CD and i would like to know if activating "knoppix dma" during the boot really incrises the speed or if it makes any harm for my PC.

    I'll wait for an answer, thaks anyway.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: KNOPPIX DMA

    Quote Originally Posted by brunomfpaula
    Hello all, I'm using knoppix live CD and i would like to know if activating "knoppix dma" during the boot really incrises the speed or if it makes any harm for my PC.

    I'll wait for an answer, thaks anyway.
    AFAIK, DMA is now the default. Some older systems need the nodma cheat code, but the DMA cheat code should have no effect.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338

    Re: KNOPPIX DMA

    Quote Originally Posted by brunomfpaula
    Hello all, I'm using knoppix live CD and i would like to know if activating "knoppix dma" during the boot really incrises the speed or if it makes any harm for my PC.

    I'll wait for an answer, thaks anyway.
    I know I posted this FAQ in a previous posting ( sometime ), but, could not locate the thread I had put it into, so, here goes again...

    From the "Microsoft Support" web site:

    Here is the LINK

    This is the "Definitions of Common Integrated Drive Electronics (IDE) Terms"

    And here is the "snippet" of the DMA definition:
    Quote Originally Posted by Support.Microsoft.Com
    Direct Memory Access (DMA):
    A method of ATA transfer that makes use of DMA controller to bypass the CPU. Also supports bursting and bus-mastering to achieve higher transfer rates. There are 3 overall standards that are further divided: Single Word (mode 0 - mode 2) supporting speeds from 1.04 Mbps to 4.14 Mbps, Multiple Word (mode 0 - mode 2) supporting speeds from 4.17 Mbps to 16.7 Mbps, and Synchronous DMA (mode 0 - mode 4) supporting speeds from 16.6 Mbps to 66.6 Mbps.
    and to include the ATA "snippet" definition:
    Quote Originally Posted by Support.Microsoft.Com
    AT Attachment (ATA):
    The specification or standard that an IDE device should conform to for connecting to a computer.
    just to include this, the definition of IDE:
    Quote Originally Posted by Support.Microsoft.Com
    Integrated Drive Electronics:
    A generic term term that can be applied to any drive with an integrated controller.
    I can easily say, I have a hard drive ( Samsung ), that refuses to let me use DMA on it, I usually have to "force" DMA off on this drive, or I get floods of errors in my system log when the drive is either mounted or touched. Having DMA dissabled on one drive, while the other drive has it enabled, has not proven to be a problem; I have had no errors, and no "noticable" speed / transfer rate issues. From the above "quotes", I gather that DMA is only for having "faster" speeds of drives, and if you dont notice the usage, or lack of, using DMA, then its only "water under the bridge" kind of thing...

    Upon, running around to locate the above links and data, I did come about "programming" at the system level for Windows Server, and the "census" of Microsoft is, that some devices, of these being of the "older" age, may not allow usage of DMA on them, and, being the "good" OS that Microsoft is, they will "depreciate" any devices that fail with DMA of five or more errors, down to PIO, and dissable the use of DMA on these devices.

    So, you may want to try DMA on your devices, and if you get errors, dissable DMA... If all goes well, then leave DMA enabled... This can be for any device, and any age... Since you can buy a new device, but the device may be using a controller that may be older.

    Hope this helps, a little
    Ms. Cuddles

  4. #4

    Thanks!

    Thanks to all, i have no more doubts about it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Juniper EX4650 Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper EX4650 Ethernet Switch

$35200.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed) picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)

$361.91



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper SRX340 Router picture

Juniper SRX340 Router

$6392.99



Juniper EX4100-48T-AFI Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper EX4100-48T-AFI Ethernet Switch

$8034.99



Juniper QFX5210-64C Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper QFX5210-64C Ethernet Switch

$50014.99



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management picture

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management

$249.97



Juniper EX4300-32F 32-Port SFP Gigabit Switch EX 4300 w/ Rack Ears picture

Juniper EX4300-32F 32-Port SFP Gigabit Switch EX 4300 w/ Rack Ears

$89.99