Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: can't ftp into 3.4 install

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    13

    can't ftp into 3.4 install

    On my knoppix 3.4 HD install, I have updated inetd.conf using update-inetd to enable ftp service, but attempts to ftp don't connect. If ftp is working, one should be able to "ftp localhost" successfully, but I get only the following:

    johnpipe@Angel:~$ ftp localhost
    ftp: connect: Connection refused
    ftp>

    I get the same message if I try to ftp from another box (I can ssh in from other box OK). I thought perhaps /etc/hosts.allow might be the problem, so added:

    ALL: 127.0.0.1 # localhost
    ALL: 192.168.0. # 1/05 spare net on dialup router
    ALL: 192.168.1. # 1/05 John's net
    ALL: 192.168.2. # 1/05 Steph's net

    This did not change the result. Can anyone suggest what else to look for, or tips to help trace where the problem lies? I'm more used to my main desktop, on an old p233mmx, RedHat 6.1 box, and still learning how to deal with knoppix-debian.


    Thank you,

    John

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    13
    Problem solved . Here is what happened, and the solution.

    After much web searching on debian, and looking through the system, I realized that inetd was not running (this really threw me, as on RedHat, inetd is running by default). I did the following:

    Code:
     su -c 'update-rc.d inetd defaults'
    so that inetd runs on bootup.

    Code:
    su -c '/etc/init.d/inetd start'
    to start inetd without re-booting.

    I had also used apt-get to install proftpd instead of the default, and configured to run from inetd.[/code]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W

$899.99



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00