So, the Knoppix files copied from the CD must be in the root directory of a FAT or FAT32 disk to boot Knoppix, correct? Will there be any adverse effects on the hard drive since it has Windoze on it?
So, the Knoppix files copied from the CD must be in the root directory of a FAT or FAT32 disk to boot Knoppix, correct? Will there be any adverse effects on the hard drive since it has Windoze on it?
Well, I tried the procedure tuxtom outlined above and it works! With the boot floppy made with mkfloppy.bat and the Knoppix files on the hard drive (in the root directory), Knoppix boots off the C: drive very quickly and doesn't disturb my Windoze 98SE installation. The only thing is, you still have to save your configuration files to a floppy. And, while booting, after the boot floppy is done (after Knoppix mounts hda1) you have to swap the boot floppy for your config floppy. But it works, and all the apps load lightning fast! I'm happy. Now, if only your configuration files can be saved on the hard drive and read at boot up. Hmmmm...
Can it work in a folder in the C drive? Can't you put a bootloader on a floppy and set it to boot from a folder on the c drive with knoppix in it? If so, how would you do it (I'm not very experienced)![]()
Just copy the Knoppix folder from the CD to the root directory on your hard drive. You are copying a folder to your hard drive, not separate files. Then, make a boot floppy from the batch file "mkfloppy.bat" on the Knoppix CD. It works great. If you have a configuration floppy you made with Knoppix to save all your settings, you will have to swap the boot floppy for the config floppy after Knoppix starts to boot from the HD.
Here's the other story!Originally Posted by tuxtom
I created a primary partition size 1 cyl ~ 8 MB as hda1.
To this partition I dumped the /KNOPPIX/boot-de.img from the cd.
Ok, with this I wasted 7 MB of disk space, but KNOPPIX runs without a boot diskette.Code:# dd if=boot-de.img of=/dev/hda1
To use this with lilo, just put to /etc/lilo.conf:
and run lilo againCode:other=/dev/hda1 label="KNOPPIX cd"
With grub, put to /boot/grub/menu.lst:
tomCode:title Knoppix cd root (hd0,0) makeactive chainloader +1
Copy CD KNOPPIX folder in C:\KNOPPIXOriginally Posted by Loki
copy miniroot.gz and vmlinux in c:\ (they are in boot.img). Extract with winimage or from floppy created with mkfloppy.bat
then put this in C:\knx.bat
c:\loadlin.exe c:\vmlinuz rw lang=en floppyconf root=/dev/hda1 initrd=c:\miniroot.gz console=null acpi=off screen=800x600
(put floppy with saved configuratiuon in A:\)
example with more options
C:\loadlin.exe c:\vmlinuz lang=en ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init noapic apm=power-off hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi vga=791 initrd=C:\miniroot.gz screen=800x600 quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
If someone were ambitous they could proably build a UMSDOS installer script for Knoppix to copy into C:\Linux... I once played with running Debian:Slink from a 800MB Fat drive (when I had Win95)....
The other possiblity would be UVFAT, which doesn't mangle the names under VFAT(FAT32)....
The kernel needs to have UMSDOS/UVFAT support built in for it to work be able to mount and boot properly.
Anyway check out http://linux.voyager.hr/umsdos/ for details
-G
Ah, Tom...
You do know youre ordering won ton soup to all us newbies out here.
javascript:emoticon(%27%3Awink%3A%27)
If I understand you at all though, I want to ask if you did the same kind of install that we did, ie copying cd contents to folder. Cuz it sounds like you are editing system files there, and on cd copy all I've seen is that all sysfiles are compressed and unreachable...
Confuscious Confused
~S~
I tried.
The partition created must be a Linux partition.
It works, but the boot connot be made by Partition Magic, only by Lilo.
So you have to boot first and go to a Linux partition with lilo and then choose the new boot as indicated.
It seems to work only if no parameters are given. As soon as one want to give some, it hangs. May be some files are missing somewhere.
All this suggest that one can also create a 700M partition (a Linux one) and put on it the iso image of the cd rom. I did not tried.
I just found this one a few minutes ago:
http://www.freenet.org.nz/misc/knopp...ationprocedure
Could be useful for whoever wants more, I haven't tried it yet but will do that tomorrow.

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$239.99
Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$319.99
Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50
Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99
Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD
$219.99
Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070
$1539.00
Lenovo ThinkPad X13 Gen 1 i5-10310U 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good
$222.99
Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...
$679.99
Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50
Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$249.99