-
can debian read ntfs?
hey,
I want to install Linux as dualboot with XP.
the problem is that I don't want to use 3GB just for knoppix.
I thought of installing regular debian, and not installing everything. but I want linux to read ntfs (for regular files and mp3).
first: if I install regular Debian, will it read the ntfs files?
second: I know it is possible to compile the linux kernel to read ntfs, but it sounds a little bit scary. does someon know a eazy way to do it?
thanks, shimi
-
Senior Member
registered user
By the time you get a reasonably full range of applications of Debian it is going to be 1.5 to 2 G also. You can install Knoppix on 2.3 Gig then pare it down to 1.5-2 Gig also, it's six of one & a half dozen of the other whether you start with Knoppix or native Debian. But Knoppix is an easier install.
Knoppix has all the capabilities Debian does...it IS a Debian system, not just a second rate clone. Both will read ntfs file systems reliably & securely but you must use 'captive ntfs' tp write to an ntfs system or you will screw it up.
Finally, if you are intending to HD install, Kanotix is a better choice than Knoppix as it seems to have fewer buggy programs.
-
thanks
I'll try Kanotix
shimi
Similar Threads
-
By Thaidog in forum General Support
Replies: 13
Last Post: 04-11-2004, 02:23 PM
-
By Colin in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 01-30-2004, 12:11 AM
-
By Markus in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-25-2004, 04:59 PM
-
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-20-2004, 02:37 PM
-
By ddody in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-13-2004, 05:58 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.98