Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: How to let Knoppix 3.7-HDD autoconfigure changed devices?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dusseldorf, Germany
    Posts
    8

    How to let Knoppix 3.7-HDD autoconfigure changed devices?

    Thanks to Knoppix, I became re-motivated to experiment with Linux since I gave up early attempts years ago.
    Meanwhile I installed Asterisk a.s.o. and found that Knoppix is a perfect environment for this, especially one
    is a Linux beginner

    Today, I have one itching question and hope some of the experts out here could solve this:

    - during installation, found hardware was written into /etc/modules.

    Switching the hdd from one PC to the other therefore results in problems.

    Refering to /etc/modules is nice in terms of speeding up the bootup process, but

    - how could I switch back to "autoconfigure" like the CD does, so I am more flexible?

    or

    alternatively, how could I force the autoconfig thru a lilo append command, so if you just switched
    to a new PC, I would run autoconfig once and have the modules.conf rewritten?


    Thanks for your suggestions.

    Rob

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1
    Hi Rob,

    > alternatively, how could I force the autoconfig thru a lilo append command, so if you just switched
    > to a new PC, I would run autoconfig once and have the modules.conf rewritten?

    this is exactly what I am looking for. Have you tried to run /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig as root? It *should* work,
    at least it claims to re-detect hardware, but obviously didn't detect the device I want to integrate.

    Good luck!

    Bod

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    If you do a Knoppix-style HD install it should autoconfigure everything with each boot. Sounds like the right approach for a HD that will be switched from one machine to another.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dusseldorf, Germany
    Posts
    8

    How to let Knoppix 3.7-HDD autoconfigure changed devices?

    Deleting the file /etc/modules-2.4.27 results in "autoconfiguring devices" next time Knoppix boots.

    So, doing this manually BEFORE switching to another machine is at least something....!

    Still looking for an approach for this to become an option right before booting on a new machine.....


    @crashedagain
    Looks like it's not a Knoppix problem, but one of my general lack of understanding linux...
    So this looks now becoming

    [offtopic]
    I get kernel panic one my 2nd machine trying to boot my knoppix-hdd from PC-1.
    On my 2nd machine the hdd is connected to the internal PCI-IDE interface (IDE-0),
    on my "original" knoppix machine the hdd is connected to an Enhanced-IDE-card, which appears
    to be a SCSI interface to that PC's Bios (it's an older one, which doesn't recognize 40G-HDDs,
    so I have to use this IDE-card).

    The HDD is partioned to hde1 (boot) to hde3 -> Windows, FAT32 primary
    hde5-6 is logical extended FAT32
    hde7 is swap
    hde8 is ext3 (knoppix)
    hde9 is ext3

    On the 2nd machine, everything would try to access in "hda-" ?.

    Interesting though, I can boot windows from lilo menu, but when I try to access my Linux entries thru lilo, it starts
    to load Linux, the penguin comes up, but after the first few messages I get "attempt to kernel panic".

    Any hint....?
    [/offtopic]

    Thnx![/b]

Similar Threads

  1. LOCALE cannot be changed in Knoppix 5.1.1
    By cezar in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-26-2007, 12:59 PM
  2. LISa daemon autoconfigure script
    By mkklavz in forum Networking
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-01-2006, 03:04 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 08:30 AM
  4. autoconfigure is unfriendly
    By deerwood in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-18-2003, 05:25 AM
  5. Autoconfigure
    By robrink in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-08-2003, 05:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$36.99



EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC picture

EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC

$115.00



Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A

$49.99



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$259.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop picture

Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop

$221.00



fanxiang S660 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2280 Internal SSD w/ Heatsink Gray picture

fanxiang S660 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2280 Internal SSD w/ Heatsink Gray

$120.00