I was just wondering if there is any planned support for klik on slackware. I know that slackware isn't debian based but it is similar, would it be possible to use klik on a slackware install?
I was just wondering if there is any planned support for klik on slackware. I know that slackware isn't debian based but it is similar, would it be possible to use klik on a slackware install?
Probably that's not as easy because every installation of Slackware tends to have different packages installed, whereas klik needs some "common ground" (as Live CDs offers).
Greetings,
probono
Is there any way to get around that so klik would work? I can give you the specific version of Slackware that I am using, its called Topologilinux and can be found here: www.topologilinux.com. It is basically Slackware 10.0Probably that's not as easy because every installation of Slackware tends to have different packages installed, whereas klik needs some "common ground" (as Live CDs offers).
Please try to klik some simple apps, e.g. klik://apg and look whether they run. Also try some more complicated ones, e.g. klik://bidwatcher - we need to know whether it works in principle. Then we will see what we can do.
Greetings,
probono
Probono;
I clicked on Bidwatcher from archlinuxOS boot-up and it came up fine.
I have a question regarding the system...
The files are termed .cmg files and you refer to the files as compressed image files and have stated they are probably 50% compressed.
When downloaded to desktop, they are called .cmg files. The connotation thusly means that they are compressed files within the file system. Therefore, it would seem also since Knoppix is "on-the-fly-decompressed" , that these additional "compressed files" are also "on-the-fly-decompressed" by another decompressor.
If I am incorrect, please straighten me out.
By the way, the .cmg files I have on my desktop run with a single mouse click..I have a dozen with
bidwatcher now...opera.cmg works great.
Does .cmg actually load into my filesystem as a compressed file?
Does it load into KnoppixLiveCD as a compressed file?
You are correct. The cmg file contains a compressed filesystem (cramfs) which is mounted automagically as you klick on it and decompressed on the fly as you use the application. This is directly comparable to the compressed Knoppix filesystem (only difference is that Knoppix uses cloop while klik uses cramfs in order to be compatible with more distributions, but the principle is the same).
Greetings,
probono
One last comment..
Opera.cmg on my desktop has...properties=4.4MB ... and is opera.cmg.
I assume from what uou are saying that the real size of opera when installed as a normal application is twice 4.4MB. This is not seen because it is decompressed "on the fly" with cramfs.
Nicht wahr?
Ok thanks alot probono!! Sorry its taken me so long to reply, I've been very busy as of late. I'm going to try installing klik again, but I think the server is down so I'll try again later.Originally Posted by lilsirecho
It seems as if Slackware uses a different version of glibc which seems to break binary compatibility. Unfortunately I don't know enough about the inner workings of glibc, but the people at autopackage do. However, their solution seems to recompile each package - something I would never be able to do.
Greetings,
probono
So basically it won't run on Slackware without considerable work?
Thanks,
Garibaldi

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00
Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots
$745.00
Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00
Dell Constellation ES.3 3TB Enterprise-class Hard Drive (Wiped & Tested)
$39.00