Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Klik on Slackware?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    46

    Klik on Slackware?

    I was just wondering if there is any planned support for klik on slackware. I know that slackware isn't debian based but it is similar, would it be possible to use klik on a slackware install?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    Probably that's not as easy because every installation of Slackware tends to have different packages installed, whereas klik needs some "common ground" (as Live CDs offers).

    Greetings,
    probono

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    46
    Probably that's not as easy because every installation of Slackware tends to have different packages installed, whereas klik needs some "common ground" (as Live CDs offers).
    Is there any way to get around that so klik would work? I can give you the specific version of Slackware that I am using, its called Topologilinux and can be found here: www.topologilinux.com. It is basically Slackware 10.0

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    Please try to klik some simple apps, e.g. klik://apg and look whether they run. Also try some more complicated ones, e.g. klik://bidwatcher - we need to know whether it works in principle. Then we will see what we can do.

    Greetings,
    probono

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ca
    Posts
    305
    Probono;
    I clicked on Bidwatcher from archlinuxOS boot-up and it came up fine.

    I have a question regarding the system...

    The files are termed .cmg files and you refer to the files as compressed image files and have stated they are probably 50% compressed.

    When downloaded to desktop, they are called .cmg files. The connotation thusly means that they are compressed files within the file system. Therefore, it would seem also since Knoppix is "on-the-fly-decompressed" , that these additional "compressed files" are also "on-the-fly-decompressed" by another decompressor.

    If I am incorrect, please straighten me out.

    By the way, the .cmg files I have on my desktop run with a single mouse click..I have a dozen with
    bidwatcher now...opera.cmg works great.

    Does .cmg actually load into my filesystem as a compressed file?

    Does it load into KnoppixLiveCD as a compressed file?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    You are correct. The cmg file contains a compressed filesystem (cramfs) which is mounted automagically as you klick on it and decompressed on the fly as you use the application. This is directly comparable to the compressed Knoppix filesystem (only difference is that Knoppix uses cloop while klik uses cramfs in order to be compatible with more distributions, but the principle is the same).

    Greetings,
    probono

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ca
    Posts
    305
    One last comment..

    Opera.cmg on my desktop has...properties=4.4MB ... and is opera.cmg.

    I assume from what uou are saying that the real size of opera when installed as a normal application is twice 4.4MB. This is not seen because it is decompressed "on the fly" with cramfs.

    Nicht wahr?

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by lilsirecho
    One last comment..

    Opera.cmg on my desktop has...properties=4.4MB ... and is opera.cmg.

    I assume from what uou are saying that the real size of opera when installed as a normal application is twice 4.4MB. This is not seen because it is decompressed "on the fly" with cramfs.

    Nicht wahr?
    Ok thanks alot probono!! Sorry its taken me so long to reply, I've been very busy as of late. I'm going to try installing klik again, but I think the server is down so I'll try again later.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    It seems as if Slackware uses a different version of glibc which seems to break binary compatibility. Unfortunately I don't know enough about the inner workings of glibc, but the people at autopackage do. However, their solution seems to recompile each package - something I would never be able to do.

    Greetings,
    probono

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    46
    So basically it won't run on Slackware without considerable work?

    Thanks,
    Garibaldi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-15-2005, 10:48 PM
  2. Booting the wrong Kernel - Knoppix, Slackware, LiLo
    By thejackal13 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-21-2005, 12:30 AM
  3. Debian vs Slackware vs Redhat?
    By axopro in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-07-2005, 08:13 PM
  4. Replies: 210
    Last Post: 12-04-2004, 03:04 PM
  5. Slackware 9 Help please!
    By digitaldeity in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-17-2003, 06:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Lot of 2 Samsung 16GB 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 SODIMM M471A2G43AB2-CWE 32GB picture

Lot of 2 Samsung 16GB 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 SODIMM M471A2G43AB2-CWE 32GB

$138.99



Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6 picture

Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6

$210.00



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



Lot of 8 A2ZEON 8GB DDR4-2133 RDIMM ECC 1Rx4 Server Memory RD4R8G44S2133 picture

Lot of 8 A2ZEON 8GB DDR4-2133 RDIMM ECC 1Rx4 Server Memory RD4R8G44S2133

$529.99



LOT OF 2  Micron 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-EE1-11 P/N: MTA18ASF2G72AZ-2G6D1ZG picture

LOT OF 2 Micron 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-EE1-11 P/N: MTA18ASF2G72AZ-2G6D1ZG

$199.95



Micron MTA18ASF2G72XF1Z-2G9WP1ABVGD 16GB 1Rx4 NN4-2933Y DDR4 ECC NVDIMM picture

Micron MTA18ASF2G72XF1Z-2G9WP1ABVGD 16GB 1Rx4 NN4-2933Y DDR4 ECC NVDIMM

$74.50