Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: What Live CD would you recommand?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    52

    What Live CD would you recommand?

    I have tried Knoppix and I like it but I have a few problems that I have not been able to fix so I am wondering what other Live CD would people recommand that I try?

    The problems with Knoppix that I have is that it does not detect my parrallel and serial ports, which makes me not able to get my printer to work, and the other is my modem is detected but I can not use it.

    What Live CD would you recommand in order to get these two issues to work? Thanks.

    EDIT:
    Also what Live CD would be able to open MAC floppy disk?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    I would recommend kanotix, maybe BH8 or BH9. They seem to detect a few more things for me than knoppix after I hd installed both. I later went with kanotix because of that reason. Santa fe linux is also pretty cool. Can't hd install yet because that install version I don't believe is available yet. Mandrake Move Live got me to install mandrake community 10.1 to one of my partitions. Now I run Kanotix, Mandrake 10.1, Red Hat 9 and XP.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    52
    Thanks, rrfish72. Do you know if Kanotix can open a mac floppy disk?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    yes it works.
    do a search on the forum on mac + floppy. i am in a hurry just now, sorry for the short "non answer".

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    london town
    Posts
    220
    las is rather nice. i cant remember mandrake move but it didnt seem that bad.

    helix is also good but because you can run it while using windows for forensic based stuff.

    i like to either mix las and helix or knoppix and helix

    helix has a built in vnc server so you can connect to it using las or knoppix.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ca
    Posts
    305
    For a small 20MB download and CD burn, with SFS-KNOPPIX you get the cloop files via the internet from Japan. See SFS-KNOPPIX in NEWS forum.

  7. #7
    Guest
    Mepis. It is no easy to say which is better between knoppix or mepis.



    http://www.mepis.org/forum

    http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis...mepis/testing/

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    28

    Without a doubt!

    I have downloaded and tried over 75 different Live CD's. I would recommend Stux over all of the rest of them. Stux is easy to work with even for beginners. Stux is the absolute best Live CD!

    www.gpstudio.com/stux

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    london town
    Posts
    220
    that cd looks kinda nice im goner test it out.

  10. #10
    ico2
    Guest
    damnsmalllinux.

    only 50mb, runs well with x and a nice desktop, easily extendible, etc etc

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. SB Live no sound with 4.0.2 live CD; SMP kernel's fault?
    By fwheeler_1 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-13-2005, 05:58 PM
  2. Whats the difference between a Live CD and a live DVD?
    By bokaroseani in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-20-2005, 09:35 PM
  3. Live-CD
    By som in forum Other Live CDs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-06-2005, 12:20 PM
  4. looking for a live cd
    By elcuco in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-04-2004, 01:42 PM
  5. live cd
    By mak468 in forum General Support
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-09-2004, 08:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Commodore 1750 512K RAM Expansion REU for C128 / C64 – Tested & Working picture

Commodore 1750 512K RAM Expansion REU for C128 / C64 – Tested & Working

$110.00



TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded picture

TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded

$89.50



Commodore OS USB | Bootable LIVE + Install | The Ultimate Gaming Linux OS | NEW picture

Commodore OS USB | Bootable LIVE + Install | The Ultimate Gaming Linux OS | NEW

$11.99



Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99



Commodore 64 disk drive - enhancer 2000 & 30 disks picture

Commodore 64 disk drive - enhancer 2000 & 30 disks

$110.00



Commodore 128 C128 Computer FOR PARTS / REPAIR Untested Missing Key No Cords picture

Commodore 128 C128 Computer FOR PARTS / REPAIR Untested Missing Key No Cords

$149.99



Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA picture

Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA

$10.49



Commodore 1541 Emulator PI1541 HAT with ROTARY, OLED screen, USA Seller picture

Commodore 1541 Emulator PI1541 HAT with ROTARY, OLED screen, USA Seller

$29.99



RARE Commodore MPS801 Printer - 1st printer for the 64 - powers on picture

RARE Commodore MPS801 Printer - 1st printer for the 64 - powers on

$70.00



Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99