-
Upgrading Knoppix version
My question: Is there a convenient way to upgrade Knoppix versions?
For instance, I want to move from 3.6 to 3.7 on my hd and I would like to avoid reformatting my disk and overwriting /etc. I have spent many hours configuring my system mainly with changes in /etc. Is there any way of avoiding having to do all that over again?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Sorry to say, but no there is no easy way.
I have gone through 3.1, 3.2 3.3 & 3.4. I downloaded 3.6 but didn't think there was enough improvement over 3.4 to make it worth installing. I got to the point I had a 'procedure' worked out to quickly purge all the apps I didn't want, install the extra ones I did want, make some config changes, set up personal prefs colors etc. I wrote up a simple script to copy what I wanted to keep to a 'safe' location then copy it back after the new install. I also set up so I had a triple boot system (Windows, Linux (old) & Linux (new) so I could get the new install up & set up before abandoning the old. You might try something similar.
Or, you might just keep on with your old installation. If you have regularly updated the applications you want to keep up to date on, there maybe isn't going to be much difference (Other than newer versions of KDE, etc, the biggest change since 3.1 is the 2.6 kernel starting with 3.4). One of the advantages of a debian system is that you CAN keep updating so that a properly upgraded potato based system is pretty much equivalent to the current sarge.
For what it's worth, I'm currently using Kanotix BH9 which is now 'old', bhX is out but I have no intantion of upgrading to it. I switched to kanotix on the advice of several regular posters to this forum & (after some initial problems) found it is generally less 'buggy' than knoppix & should be upgradeable without as much chance of breaking it.
-
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I actually have a copy of Kanotix BH7. I think I will give that a try.javascript:emoticon('
')
On another point, I am looking for a one CD system to turn an extra machine into a router/gateway/firewall for a dialup internet connection. Know any that you likejavascript:emoticon('
')
Similar Threads
-
By doesnotcompute in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-26-2005, 04:52 PM
-
By kaplan71 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-05-2005, 10:27 PM
-
By Durand Hicks in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-10-2004, 01:35 PM
-
By mrnobody in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-17-2003, 07:05 PM
-
By sgk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 04-17-2003, 08:29 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER
$94.94

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$12.00

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11
$149.00