Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Help me, I'm chicken

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    14

    Help me, I'm chicken

    Today I resolved to install linux on my WinXP computer, so I put in the knoppix disk and open up qtparted (using knoppix 3.7 with qtparted 0.4.4). After doing a resize on my Windows partition but before clickng "commit" and ACTUALLY resizing it, I saw the bar for my windows partition turned all red and said used space was "N/A." At this point I was totally horrified and hit undo. I've defragmented and verified there's no data on the tail end of my drive where I'd be putting the partition. However, I'm horrified about losing data. Will I lose any? Also, there are 2 partitions on my drive, so I'll have to make an extended partition to put linux on. How do I do this with qtparted? Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    14
    Anybody? Help, plese?

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Wow, you waited 59 minutes before posting again! My advice is to not worry about it. After all, anything hat you really care about you have backed up on CD, DVD or other removable media. The stuff you don't have backed up you clearly don't care about. So no problem.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    You have 2 partitions already? I assume you mean a C and a D drive in win terms. So you should already have an extended partition, your windows should be on C (hda1 to linux) so you should be able to add another partition without affecting hda1 as it will go in the extended partition.
    QTparted should make the partition without any data loss but back up first just to be safe.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    14
    Sorry about the short time between the two posts, I was kind of agitated at the time. At this point, I've acquired Partition Magic 8 and have made a 2 GB swap and 13 GB ext3 partitions, and plan to make 3 GB of the 13 GB one a root partition (this is done during the install, right?) thanks a lot for the help.

    EDIT: And the other partition is a restore partition that came with the computer, in case you were wondering.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    11
    It does show a C drive and a D drive, but the D drive is a partition designated as a restore partition for windoze XP. I don't think it would be a good idea to mess with that partition. Another partition would have to be made up by reducing the NTFS partition, and creating a new Fat32 partition.
    I am also curious as I do not want to mess up a new puter while I explore Linux as a Debian install. Or any distro install for that matter, as they all handle differently. I too would like to create a 10 gig area to learn Linux
    On my old puter ( now dead mobo ) I did a HDD install on a spare HDD. I built that machine myself, and I had a very minimal licenced 98SE disc for it ( minimal content-full licence ), but I have never re-partitioned a drive with a working and valuable OS on it.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by ixalarx
    Sorry about the short time between the two posts, I was kind of agitated at the time. At this point, I've acquired Partition Magic 8 and have made a 2 GB swap and 13 GB ext3 partitions, and plan to make 3 GB of the 13 GB one a root partition (this is done during the install, right?) thanks a lot for the help.

    EDIT: And the other partition is a restore partition that came with the computer, in case you were wondering.
    You really don't need 2 G swap, 2G is almost enough for a whole install!. 3-500 Meg is LOTS, especially if you have a decent amount of normal memory.
    The knoppix operating system should have about 4-5Gig, about 50% of this will actually be used. You CAN run with as little as 2.3 Gig but you have to purge out unused apps as soon as you install & be very careful about cleaning up & not wasting space.
    I would set up a substantial amount of space for a vfat data partition & move all data to it (including data now on windows C) Both XP & Linux can read/write to a vfat drive so they can share the data drive and you NEVER want to have data on the same partition as your operating system, Windows, Linux or any other. Operating systems sometimes crash & all that irreplaceable data is history if you have a bad crash.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop picture

Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop

$40.00



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned

$29.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$119.99



Netac 512GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6 Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/MAC picture

Netac 512GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6 Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/MAC

$73.00